Advanced Search

McAfee Showing This Site as a risky site

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic McAfee Showing This Site as a risky site

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Carl Sauer
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 8

I’ve get a message from McAfee Virus Checker that this site is a risky site.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thanks for the heads up! I’m passing it along to the webmaster now.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

A very important thing is that this site doesn’t store your credit card numbers (unlike many other sites). So those cannot be hacked. Clay, please keep it this way!

Many sites do store your credit card number and that may ease the payment process. But in my view that doesn’t weigh up to the risks of these numbers being hacked.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

McAfee is undoubtedly aware of how unlikely one is to enter this site and not spend money.

Robert Gilvary
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 53

Even though you have a page on face book, you can not post a link to this site on face book for security reasons, as per face book.

Something’s wrong.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That seems odd about Facebook. I just added a link yesterday and it worked okay. Checking with webmaster again….

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Simple fix,,,, delete McAfee! :silly: 😆

Carl Sauer
    Participant

McAfee Site Advisor is still showing this as malicious site. McAfee has four rating for sites. These are:

SAFE: Very low or no risk issues. (Green)

CAUTION: Minor risk issues. (Yellow)

WARNING: Serious risk issues. (Red)

UNKNOWN: Not yet rated. Use caution. (Unknown)

The rating for portions of this site is Warning (red). The Main Page is showing Safe (Green).

The links that have this rating are Products, Dealers, Forum, Sharpeners, Pro-Packages and Accessory Stones.

From McAfree :

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

How Site Ratings Are Determined
    Each day, thousands of times a day, McAfee visits Websites and tests them for a comprehensive set of security threats. From annoying pop-ups to back door Trojans that can steal your identity, we find the danger zones before you stumble on them. Here’s what our test computers look for.
    Downloads
    E-mail Practices
    Browser Exploits
    Phishing Sites
    Web Reputation
    E-Commerce Vulnerabilities
    Website Annoyances
    Links (Online affiliations)

Downloads
    Downloadable files like screensavers, toolbars and file sharing programs can be-or may be bundled with — adware, spyware, viruses and other malicious computer code. Sometimes, the malware is added without your knowledge. Sometimes, you click “yes” or “I agree” without reading the fine print. The end result is often the same – a PC that slows to a crawl, a hidden password sniffer that is used to steal your identity, or valuable personal files destroyed or scrambled.
    We download and install each file we find – we even open zip files. We then scan our test computer to see what changes have been made. If a program is determined to be a virus, Trojan, or certain other types of malware, that program will earn a red rating.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

From a business perspective this is a disaster for a reputable company that engages in ecommerce. If anyone sees this they will not be willing to enter any order type information using this site and indeed not even want to bring up the site for fear of downloading a virus.

I’m in IT and work for a large corporation. I know that if this rating was on the site for my company, it would be a matter for the board and every effort would be made to have the problem corrected immediately. This would be an incredibly serious issue since it reflects negatively on the reputation and public image of the company saying nothing of what the legal implications may be.

Whoever is hosting this site needs to have this issue investigated and have the site retested. There is a process for doing this and need to be a top priority. This is not a trivial matter for a reputable business. I know this site has been hacked and only adds to the concern.

I run virus scan (more than one) every time I now visit the site and am very hesitant to enter this site even though this is one of my favorite sites. Even as I enter this post I’m looking at a Red Warning!

Clay please have this issue corrected as soon as possible! I miss being here!

Carl Sauer
    Participant

Great News! McAfee is now showing this site as a safe site!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.