Advanced Search

Loosening adhesive advice

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Loosening adhesive advice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I’d like to take the steel platens off of my new blank handles/platen combo.
    Didn’t realize they were already attached.
    Thought I’d check and see if anyone had any info on this befor I started in.

Thanks

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thanks

Run them under hot water to soften the tape, then use a putty knife to get under the metal. Just use a corner of the blade and gently push it under, I usually start at the end in one of the corners. Once it’s in position, pry up a little and gently work your way down the handle. It’s not easy since the adhesive is so strong. Being patient with it pays off.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Thanks

Now I’m curious what you’re going to do with them…

Run them under hot water to soften the tape, then use a putty knife to get under the metal. Just use a corner of the blade and gently push it under, I usually start at the end in one of the corners. Once it’s in position, pry up a little and gently work your way down the handle. It’s not easy since the adhesive is so strong. Being patient with it pays off.

Wonder if a hair dryer or heat gun would work too?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hair dryer yes. There might be a danger of melting the plastic with a heat gun. Using hot water works well because because it softens the tape and makes it pliable and also gets in between the tape and the metal once you start prying.

-Clay

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Hot water worked well. Used a 5 in 1 tool to remove the platen. A bit stouter than a putty knife.

Cbwx– wanted access to the round recesses in the handle for magnet placement.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.