Advanced Search

Loose blade(s) on slip-joint folders

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Loose blade(s) on slip-joint folders

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JBrees
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 4

I’ve got the Tormec small knife holder. Tried to sharpen the blade on an old slip-joint folder, but the blade has about 1/16″ side to side play at the tip because the pivot joint is loose. Many modern folders have a screw to adjust the pivot joint tightness but older slip-joint knives do not.
    How do you folks deal with this issue? Shims?

Fuceye
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

Good one…. Can you provide some pics?

The edge can be a very large place to find one's self.The trick is to think small.

Fuceye
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

In the past I have had some success with a punch and hammer to pound the rivet somewhat.this will tighten up any slop…if it is just a hack knife the resulting marks will just add caricature, but you can also grind/buff the marks out as well.

Note: it all depends on how the hole got worn in the first place, if the wear is lop sided this method is not the answer.all you will end up doing is permitly fixing the blade in what ever position you modified the pin…in this case you need to remill (drill) the holes and add a bigger pin (rivet). A lot of work just to use the tormac….

if you are just practicing try some of those little knives you find @the dollar store…

The edge can be a very large place to find one's self.The trick is to think small.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

This may be a situation where the Wicked Edge LAA(low angle adapter) could be the ticket as it clamps directly onto the blade removing all the side to side wiggle wiggle.  Depends on the desired angle and how wide the blade is.

Another thing worth mentioning…I’ve sharpened many knifes in the tormek jig and have compensated for side to side slop by placing the index finger of my off hand against the back side of the blade to stabilize, then switch hands and repeat.  Its slower but you get a nice level of control going with a single paddle method.  I know TC uses this method and I almost prefer it sometimes for the level of control it can give.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.