Advanced Search

Look at my knew wooden base!

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Look at my knew wooden base!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Benoît Membré
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 22

Hello,
    Take a look at my knew wooden base!
    I just finished working on a wooden base that I wanted to have some specific features like a small stand to put the rods, with or without stones. I also wanted to have a place to store the alignment guide (I never know where to put it…).
    The small stand is laser cut, the logos are laser engraved.

Tell me what you think!

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

That looks awesome!!!

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

A+ That is a great idea and well executed. I really like the back rest with your logo and the WE logo on it. It looks very good and adds to the professionalism of your business. Once again I will say well done.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I really like that! Would like to have that myself. That would be a nice addition to the WEPS product line. :ohmy:

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Very nice job, extremely professional looking for certain ! :woohoo:

I am eventually going to find the time to build myself a complete fold down workstation, with rods for the paddle storage, maybe a spot for the alignment guide, etc……and I was really wanting to do a board or something as a large background with the WE logo on it in bright colors over a black background………….Clay, would it be permissable to use / duplicate your logo like this, strictly for my own personal decoration and amusement ? 🙂

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

This is great!
    How think is that base? It looks to be about 2″

Benoît Membré
    Participant

This is great!
    How think is that base? It looks to be about 2″

The base is 2″ thick. Dimensions are 12×12″.

Benoît Membré
    Participant

Hey, thank you all for your kind comments. That’s very encouraging!

I’m not very happy with 2 things :unsure:
    1. The screws of the mount (is it the correct word for that?) are not very “industrial” looking. So’ I’m looking for something more professional (your ideas are welcome!),
    2. I’m not happy with the color of the mount either, wich is not the same as the one of the base. So, I’m going to try a varnish layer of the same color of the base,
    The base is made of beech wood, the mount is made of pine wood.

Benoît Membré
    Participant

Hey, thank you all for your kind comments. That’s very encouraging!

I’m not very happy with 2 things :unsure:
    1. The screws of the mount (is it the correct word for that?) are not very “industrial” looking. So’ I’m looking for something more professional (your ideas are welcome!),
    2. I’m not happy with the color of the mount either, wich is not the same as the one of the base. So, I’m going to try a varnish layer of the same color of the base,
    The base is made of beech wood, the mount is made of pine wood.

I thought about glueing the the mount on the base but I’m afraid that it would not be very strong.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Tres jolie mon ami

Thats near the limit of my French . The base it looks very professional in fact amazing.

I would not suggest levelling the colours ( plus the grains are completely different) it may be worth sealing the Beech wood with some Yachting type of wood oil Swedish wood oil is good; the oils for yachts are more waterproof since they are normally used on gaff rigs which have a leather saddle on the inboard end of the gaff which slides up and down the mast plus either lines of wooden hoops chafe the mast so the Swedish wood oil is pretty tuff.

If you are good at varnishing you could do a few coats of gloss varnish and then finish off with matt or satin varnish but unless you are good at varnishing it will not look good.

I would leave it as it is ! But the oil is much simpler if you want to seal it and you are not filling in the grain plus you could apply it with a rag so it goes on thinly and then you will not get runs or sagging.

I would either replace those screws with flat head made of brass and I would line the heads up if the existing one are brass possidrives or Philips(if they are not brass or stainless steel I would replace them then I would line them up so they are square when screws are visible it look much smarter when everything is in line .

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Very nice job, extremely professional looking for certain ! :woohoo:

I am eventually going to find the time to build myself a complete fold down workstation, with rods for the paddle storage, maybe a spot for the alignment guide, etc……and I was really wanting to do a board or something as a large background with the WE logo on it in bright colors over a black background………….Clay, would it be permissable to use / duplicate your logo like this, strictly for my own personal decoration and amusement ? 🙂

It certainly would. When you’re ready, I can send you a hi res version.

-Clay

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Very nice job. :woohoo:

I would never even notice the screws as I hardy ever look at the back, even when moving WEPS. If you go with a thicker wood you can counter sink and cover up with matching wood tabs.

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Clay, would it be permissible to use / duplicate your logo like this, strictly for my own personal decoration and amusement ? 🙂

It certainly would. When you’re ready, I can send you a hi res version.[/quote]

Thanks Clay, go ahead and send it if you don’t mind…….I am assuming you can email it to my private email ?

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Ah someone else inspired by that beautiful wooden base I am sure that your flute making skills will go far to make a tidy wooden base!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Really nice, Benoit! How did you get the Wicked Edge logo on it?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.