Advanced Search

Laser Edge Finder

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Laser Edge Finder

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Willis68
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 32

are any of you using these?

i figure if they are good enough it will not only save wear on the stones but save a heck of a lot of time, I’m thinking of getting one

http://www.catra.org.uk/CATRA_Hobbigoni_blade_edge_protractor_p/cuhg.htm

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

A bench model came up in discussion a while back. The most accurate way I’ve seen to measure primary & secondary bevels is with the clay impression, then taking a photo and using imaging software.

The easiest and also I think more accurate is just to use you angle cube.  It should be part of your standard equipment if you don’t have one already.

Recently new angle cubes are available and have been discussed here as well

Thanks for sharing that, it may just end up on my bench as well…nifty gadgets seem to do that. Lol

Willis68
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 32

I have an angle cube, I have only used it to confirm the angle of the stones laying on the edges when I already know the angle, how do you use it to find it on the blade accurately?

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Use a sharpie and 1000 grit stone to angle match. Sorry can’t link at the moment but there are good videos out showing how you mark the blade, swipe lightly, and then adjust the paddle angle until the match…mostly.  I’ve yet to see an edge that was uniform along its length, until after I had wicked edged it. 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

I have the “hobby Goni” as CATRA calls it.  It is a pretty cool “gadget”, however, it can be difficult to interpret the angles without practice.  Especially with multi facet blades (Primary bevel with Micro Bevel).  CATRA offers higher end models that are supposed to be much better but I haven’t seen anyone using it (Here).  The focused model referenced is supposed to be easier to read and actually holds the blade in place with magnets.

The “hobby Goni” for $122.00 (US) is serviceable but a little complicated to read but easy to use.  It does show the angles for quick evaluation and could eliminate some of the guess work and get you sharpening faster.  Because of the impression method of angle interpretation discussed in this post (here) using thermoplastic or wax, it accelerated the learning curve of using the goniometer significantly.   The impression result told me exactly the angle of the blade and then when I look at the goniometer reading, I can verify the angle.  After doing that a few times, it gets easier to interpret.

Now that I know what to look for, I could just use the goniometer completely independently.   Basically, It is easier for me to read the results now, but, it didn’t start off that way.  The impression method allowed me to document my angles and record the results at any one point in time while the goniometer  can show you the angle in a single moment which can’t be recorded (Unless you still use a pen or pencil of course).

You will find value using it, but I would save for the better model if I where to buy it again.  I am not sure the expense is worth it as you can buy a lot of thermoplastic for $708.00 (U.S.) and get accurate results fairly quickly  without any guessing or estimating.

I have the users manual as a PDF, if you Private Message (PM) me on the forum and provide your e-mail address, I will send it to you!

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I have a Hobbigoni as well. It works ok for straight single bevels. I’d say you can estimate angles with it within 1 degree. However, like Eddie says, on multi-facet bevels or convex bevels it can be difficult to interpret the patches of light: https://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/maintaining-a-convex-edge-using-the-wicked-edge-challenges-on-the-fallkniven-a1/

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

I would recommend you save your money.  I bought one 4 years ago and rarely use it.  I do not believe it will save time or wear and tear on your your stones.  As has been mentioned, the device is not always easy to read/interpret results.  In my case, I find it far more frustrating and time consuming than just using a sharpie, eyeballing, and doing a quick, light rub with one of my ceramic stones (I don’t do a full spine to tip sweep … just a few perpendicular to the edge rubs to see where it’s hitting) and measure the angle with my cube.  That said … it is a neat little device that does work okay with some blades.  I pull it out when my daughter visits …. hoping she sees me measuring the angle of one of my knives I am sharpening and thinks …. boy, he must really know what he is doing!!!!!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Whether it’s worth the money is up to you of course. But I do use it in practice for straight bevels. I still use the Sharpie method if I want to match an existing bevel, but the goniometer gives me a first indication: e.g., should I start looking at 15 degrees or 25 degrees? Thus it saves me time in those cases.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.