Advanced Search

Knives of Indonesia

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Knives of Indonesia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I will be taking a trip soon to Bali & Java for several weeks. Hoping to pick up some interesting blades while traveling. Last time I was there I picked up a common parang at the farmers market that I loved & used very much. Hoping to find some traditional karambits this trip.

Any suggestions for other blade styles, what to look for and what to look out for in steels, and any other advice greatly appreciated… :woohoo:

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

Craftsmanship is key. I will forgive non gloriously uber steel for good craftsmanship. I will not forgive the reverse.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Well first off let me say its great to be back, really missed the sense of connection to the community…

Maybe even more so considering that as it turns out, Indonesians are NOT big into knives. In fact almost nobody carry’s a pocket knife or anything. :S

Every culture is different and especially over there the theme I heard several times was…”the only people that have knives are the bad guys”. So if you have a knife you are by default kinda placed in the bad guy category. Again in simple terms guns are almost non existent there, so most common street theft is accomplished by holding someone up at knife point. Thats just the way it is… :ohmy:

I brought several small knives with me for utility and to show family there. Even once I explained that a kershaw leek was hardly a tactical assault weapon 😆 they still remained dubious of my reasons for carrying one even tho I used it in a functional manner several times a day slicing garden hose, rope, plants, boxes, etc, etc, etc…

Almost forgot & didnt want to overlook the obvious “American” comeback to “Only bad guys carry”. I could have had a big discussion about the pros/cons or carrying your own knife for defense against thieves but opted to keep my big mouth shut and just tuck my Spyderco Delica a little lower in the pocket! B)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.