Advanced Search

Knife Recommendation

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Knife Recommendation

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Hi,

In light of staying in the UK, knife law requires that a knife, if you carry in public, should have a blade length no longer than 3″ and MUST be non locking.

I like the look of the spiderco’s with the flick open hole. Could anyone make some recommendations on a good knife. I’ve seen the likess of the Chicago and Cat etc, but doesn’t seem too specific as to whether they are locking. The spiderco squeak clearly states its non locking. OK its small, but it is just a small utility knife for small tasks. Wont be cutting any heavy cardboard or anything like that. Seen you can get the UKPK but they don’t seem to hold their edge as well. Different steel I suppose.

I’m no expert at all, so was looking to benefit from you guys who know more about specific knives than me.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Andrew, check the Spyderco Pits ?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow, the UK is even worse in this respect than that small country at the other side of the sea…

Some more non-locking Spydercos: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?category=16 . If I were forced to spend the rest of my life without a locking folder I might choose this one: http://eur.heinnie.com/fallkniven-u1 . Or a Victorinox, of course.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Andrew
    Participant

Cheers guys.

Yes the UK is pretty tough. 4 years in the clink if you don’t abide by the tough law

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Just did a quick glance thru the Spyderco catalog as well…

Depending on your size preference, I like the looks of the UK penknife:
    http://www.bladehq.com/item–Spyderco-UK-Penknife-Lightweight–9311

Or this little Urban guy was pretty cute:
    http://www.bladehq.com/item–Spyderco-Urban-Lightweight-Black–26846

The foliage green version seems to be discontinued but would be my personal pick 

Andrew
    Participant

Thanks

I think the little urban guy might be the boy.

If I’m not mistaken it uses better metal than the UKPK I think

CliffCurry
    Participant

Only thing Im not a fan of is the FRN handle material…

Oh and its pretty darn tiny.  I have a beautiful little dragonfly but its a tad on the small size.  What I always do is watch a ton of youtube vids until Im sure about exactly which one is gonna work for me.

Heres a size comparision of the Urban to the Dragonfly:YGV4Axm

Attachments:
    CliffCurry
    Participant

…and heres a video you might enjoy:

Coincidentally I received a Grasshopper for Christmas as a stocking stuffer but it hasnt seen much pocket time.  I prefer a Delica size blade. 🙂

Andrew
    Participant

Thanks

I did enjoy that video. The UKPK does seem to uses poorer quality blade steel, although feels nice to hold.

The FRN, yes, I think it seems to be one of those love it or hate it materials

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Swiss army knives.  They have some nice ones that are just single blades, no tools and very thin.  For what they cost they are good knives, but I wouldn’t call them super steels by any means.

Andrew
    Participant

I kind of like the spyderco one hand opening thing. They seem like good knives. Obviously UK laws mean it wont be the most expensive Spyderco. Ultimately its just a pocket knife for cutting nothing too heavy, but it’ll be sharp and do the job

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.