Advanced Search

knife data base

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat knife data base

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gerard
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hello to every one, I’m just getting started in knife sharpening, one question I have is, I don’t understand some of the terms in the knife data base, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/glossaries/kntermins.shtml
    http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifeedgetypes.shtml
    http://forums.egullet.org/topic/26036-knife-maintenance-and-sharpening/

Here are a few places to refer otherwise most things will come up in Google search without much work.
    Perhaps you could be more specific with the terms that are confusing.
    zknives is a great site and even has an app for both iOS/droid – Knife Steel Chart ZviSoft LLC .

Leo Nav

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hey Staysharp, welcome to the forum! What are the terms you don’t understand?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Gerard
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hello, some of the terms I don’t understand are-alignment-B.O,D.O,C.o and depth-T,B etc. thinking about buying a Wicked Edge, so I’m trying to get a good understanding about the sharpener, Thanks

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

The WE has a rule that is marked off with letters to aid positioning the knife consistently fore & aft in the vice clamp then the vice has two sets of hole so a thin blade may well be positioned over the top set of holes”T” or lower “B” there is a key like instrument with two rods that fits in the holes so the key is put in and the spine of the knife can be butted up against the key corresponding to either the Top holes or Bottom holes .
    This enables someone to position the knife at a given height in the vice and the tip can be a distance measured off on the rule; so if you use the data base or add to it you can refer to a record for the best position of the knife and repeat that on subsequent sharpenings ( or have your own notes it is a way to enable minimal loss of steel on the next sharpening)
    If the position is sweet the bevel size will be the same along the whole length of the blade . The further the paddle moves away from the vice the steeper it becomes so the position is important so as to get the most even bevel angle along the length of the blade. A long blade may have to be split it to halves or thirds to avoid bevel discrepancies for example with a big machete .
    I hope that clarifies what you do not follow.

Leo Nav

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Hello, some of the terms I don’t understand are-alignment-B.O,D.O,C.o and depth-T,B etc. thinking about buying a Wicked Edge, so I’m trying to get a good understanding about the sharpener, Thanks

With WE sharpener comes a ruler that attaches to the clamp for length. The B. D…. are the measurements so you can re-clamp it in the same position each time. T.B. indicate top or bottom setting for blade width in the clamp again for purpose of re-clamping the knife in the vise.
    It will all make sense the minute you actually see the system. Don’t worry Clay came with a fool proof way to get the sharpest knives you have ever used!! B) :cheer:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.