Advanced Search

Klingenmuseum and a 2 meter Swiss army knife

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Klingenmuseum and a 2 meter Swiss army knife

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Last week I went to the Deutches Klingenmuseum. That’s German for German Knife Museum. It’s located in Solingen, which happens to be only a two hour drive from where I live. I should have known that before, since it was the first time I ever visited Solingen.

It’s a great museum, with an emphasis on the history of knives. If you want to know what a Celtic knife looks like, or a sword from the middle ages, you should go there.

I made a few pictures of more modern knives.

This is the museum. It is located in an former monastery.

This is a Swiss army knife. Well, it’s probably German, but you get the idea. What you may not see immediately is that is about two meters long: one meter for the handle and one meter for the longest blade. And it’s a working knife!

Another one, slightly smaller.

And you’ve guessed it by now, almost two meters worth of working “pocket” knife.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Thats an awful lot of polishing that has gone into those knives I wonder how heavy they are I guess 4-5 kilos for the big one I bet the blade would cut through quite a few things under its own weight .
    the blade in the bottom picture looks 85-90% perfect polishing which is some feat on something that large .

Its like when a hull on a super yacht is faired with epoxy and then faired with sand paper wrapped around1 / 2 metre planks of wood thats an awful lot of work especially on hard steelI imagine these big blades are polished with a similar block technique to avoids hollows from finger tips .

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

fine tickets there
    thanks for the spin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.