Advanced Search

Kitchen Knife

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Kitchen Knife

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Larry
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 44

Can someone recommend a good kitchen knife for slicing mainly veggies that I can keep sharp with the WEPS ?

Also where to purchase said knife.

Thanks
    Lucky

Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 84

Specifying a price range would be helpful as well. 🙂

If I was going to go buy a kitchen knife for myself, I think I’d pick up a Richmond Remedy. CKTG is the only place that offers those, I think. Check it out! LINK!

Larry
    Participant

Komitadjie

Thanks for the link to the remedy, unfortunately that is way out on a limb for me. I was thinking more like 30-50 dollar range. Maybe can`t get a decent knife in that range.

Lucky

Dan
    Participant

I’m quite certain that there are some good knives in that range, Clay certainly will when he shows up. I think you would probably be happy with just about any of the Solingen-made blades. Perhaps a good option would be the Henckels Classic 8-inch. To Amazon!

don griffith
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 51

In your price range
    You indicate you wanted it for veggies, so a Nakiri is just what you need. I have one (not this brand) and it is sharp and does a great job.
    Oh, and it looks like a perfect WEPS project!

Here are more Nakiri knives with prices. In fact, I’ve been biten to buy another because of your post. If my wife shows up on your doorstep to throttle you, it’s because I blamed you….:P

Dave Schur
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 39

Specifying a price range would be helpful as well. 🙂

If I was going to go buy a kitchen knife for myself, I think I’d pick up a Richmond Remedy. CKTG is the only place that offers those, I think. Check it out! LINK!

Ditto on the Remedy, I love mine and it is sick sharp after some time on the wicked edge. All of that CPM154 took a little elbow grease though.

Larry
    Participant

Well I took the advice and got the 8 inch Henckle that Komit suggested on Amazon. I saw that they had a used one listed so I got that one. It didnt look used but may have been a second with a badly ground blade edge.
    I put the WE to work and it came out nice and sharp. I am still waiting on the 800-1000 grit diamond and the ceramics to show up to put and even more polished edge on it.
    Lucky

Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Replies: 80

I use Wusthof’s Grand Prix II line for my everyday use knives. They are middle of the road in the Wusthof line. Takes a great edge, but it is a knife expected to be honed on a steel at every use. It was $199 for an 8″ chef, serrated bread knife, paring knife, utility knife, honing steel and a wood block.

For my next knife, I will be getting into entry level into high end Japanese with a Shun Classic 8″ chef’s and Nakiri. VG10 steel core with Damascus stainless outer layers. I think the 8″ chef is about $139

Dan
    Participant

I think you’ll be pleased with it, Gofly. It’s not up to the standards of the really high-end stuff or the good J-knives, but it’ll do your veggie prep just fine, serve you for a long time, and will be fun to keep going on the WEPS. 🙂

Kennith Chan
    Participant
    • Replies: 41

Hi I am new to the different steels, is this one made of Aogami Blue steel? Do you know where I can find out what it has been hardened to.

Ronald Stenbro
    Participant
    • Replies: 9

If you want a great, inexpensive kitchen knife, you can’t go wrong with the Victorinox 40520. Over 600 reviews on Amazon (mostly 5 star), and only about $26. I know this is an old thread, and the knife is about a tenth of the cost of a WEPS, but if you are looking for a good quality, inexpensive chef’s knife for the kitchen, check this out. You don’t need to spend $200.

Kennith Chan
    Participant

It says High Carbon Steel, do you know off hand which type of steel is used?

Marion
    Participant

If I remeber the research I did on the Victorinox, Forschner, Baker & Chefs (Sams Club) knives they are made with 18/10 high carbon stainless steel. They are inexpensive, jobber knives. I like and use them nightly. They sharpen up real nice. The Victorinox and the Forschner have better covering on the handles, the Baker & Chefs are handled in white pebbled polypropylene.

Glen
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 12

Hi I am new to the different steels, is this one made of Aogami Blue steel? Do you know where I can find out what it has been hardened to.

This would be Aogami steel which means “Blue”, it could be Aogami 1 or 2, very similar. It would almost certianly not be Aogami Super at this price point.
    This is great value for Blue steel if the heat treat is good.

Glen

Kennith Chan
    Participant

Thx for all the replies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.