Advanced Search

Kitchen Knife sheath options

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Kitchen Knife sheath options

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Spagery
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 30

Ive recently purchased a full set of Globals for restaurant kitchen use and a Wicked Edge to maintain them.

I store them in a cloth roll up bag. But its difficult to remove and insert the knives from the pockets which hold the handles when the razor sharp blades are so close together.

I have to hold down the knife next to it to make sure I dont slice my finger and even then it makes me cringe because they are soo sharp and its so easy get cut and not even notice it.

I clearly need some blade guards asap.

Global does not offer anything, so iam looking for options from other companies. And really ive never bought any type of this product before.

Ive always kept a large tool box of forschners before I acquired these globals and it was not such an issue. I just kept the blades in there loose.

But the tool box is bulky and heavier then the cloth roll up bag.

Ive seen some guards by messermeister I like, and also chef depot offers some.

Iam open to opinions, maybe you guys have seen something good.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

If it were me I would probably use either a knife block, a magnet, or the cardboard sleeves. I don’t really like the plastic ones as they will dull your edge over time… Hope this helps!

http://knifesleeves.com/

Spagery
    Participant

In my home Kitchen I like a Knife Block on the counter.

But as a Restaurant Cook I bring my knives into work and I keep them under the working bench during the shift.

Generally at the start of the day I will take out the same knives to do daily tasks. Like a Chefs knife and a narrow cooks utility knife for breaking down beef tenderloins and my paring knife.

Occasionally I will need a specific knife to do a task like fillet a fish, bone out some poultry or do beef carving where I will need to go into the case to grab a specialized knife to do that job.

All my knives get hand washed and put into the case and locked up in a locker or they go home with me.

So they have to be very portable. Which is why ive chosen to keep them in the carry case.

Thanks for the link to the simple cardboard guards, I had not come across those in my searches.

I was wondering if there was some nice wooden guards or maybe kydex that would fit my globals but I haven’t found a source.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Ahhh sweet man! I didn’t kno you were a chef… You can probably bring a lot to the table here in the forum.

One thing I have noticed when I sharpen knives for chefs that have a carrying case is that most times they don’t have any sleeves on their knives! this seems like a very BAD idea because 1. they poke through and you could get hurt and also tear up your case and 2. they may bang into each other and dull quickly. So a sleeve is definitely the way to go!

If you want kydex you can have those custom built pretty easily I would imagine… just make sure they are designed well so that no part of your edge will actually be in contact with the kydex (i.e. have the kydex wrap around the spind and meet in front of the edge so that the edge is “sandwiched” in between the kydex). I have no idea about wood…my most favorite sheath to date is a kydex sheath that is lined inside with leather! it feels like a glove when you slide your knife in and back out…

Spagery
    Participant

Yes ive seen many of these roll up cases in College and other cooks knife rolls. Most do not have the guards because you have to seek them out. They dont come with the cases and you have to buy the right guard for the size knife you have and most people dont bother with it.

Maybe they dont keep their Knifes with a Wicked Edge ! But when you have to pull out a knife from the case in a sliding motion and your finger is right next to the blade of another knife, its scary and dangerous ;p

And ya they can cut up the fabric with the daily removing and placing them back into the case.

This is my first foray into Japanese steel and iam learning about it still. They have something called a Saya wooden guard that covers the knife.

I would like to find one that could fit my GF-33 and GF-34 chef knifes and maybe basic guards for the rest.

Sort of like this saya for the GF-46

So iam researching that or other options.

In addition to the mentioned 8 inch and 10 inch chefs I need guards for my:

GF-37
    GF-27
    G-8
    G-9
    GF-31
    G-21
    G-19
    GSF-15
    GSF-24
    GSF-22

Spagery
    Participant

I just learned that the GF-46 is a Santoku style blade. But they also sell Saya’s for the type of blade I know as a Chef Knife, they call it a Gyuto Saya.

They also make a Saya for a Sujihiki style of knife which looks like its the same geometry as my Carver the GF-37.

And they make a Petty Saya which has more of a drop point and is a Utility blade shape.

http://korin.com/Knives/knife-saya

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/whetstonesforsale.html

I may have to do a little fit to size like shown here :

But iam interested in trying a saya for my larger knives.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

My regular use kitchen knives go on a magnetic wood block. The rest I made my own paper sleeves, folded construction paper 2 – 4 times and stapled one side. Good for keeping then in the drawer, may not last as long as cardboard sleeves with daily use.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

At the restaurant I sharpen for, some people use leather (or strong synthetic plastic-like) knife rolls.

If you want to carry just a few knives, wooden saya’s or even paper ones may be a good idea.

At Chefknivestogo they used to sell “general” wooden saya’s that would fit knives of various sizes. I got a saya from them for my gyuto which I like much. I don’t see it listed currently, but you could drop them a line. CKTG also sell various fabric and leather cases as well as cardbox saya’s. I don’t have shares in them and can confirm that Japanesechefknives is also a very good shop.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Ikea do these draw inserts made of either pine or bamboo if you look at the draw on the far right you will see it you could easily stack these up in a box to transport them unfortunately the picture does no justice I have just bought two for knives that I sharpen for customers in my workshop it keeps them safe they are attractive and will work out far cheaper than Sayas unless you know someone that will make them at a reasonable price .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.