Advanced Search

Kershaw/Shun Blue Steel

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Kershaw / Zero Tolerance Kershaw/Shun Blue Steel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Hi all,
    I have a birthday coming up, and have been drooling at these:

http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/blue-utility-butchery-knife

http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/blue-honesuki

I have a couple of the classics which are VG-10, and absolutely love them.

So does anyone have expierence with these?

Plus I’m very curious about the steel….

Thanks!

Fred

Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

Hi Fred, I don’t have the exact knives your looking at but, I have several Shun knives. My absolute favorite is the Ken Onion 10″ (VG-10) curved handle carving knife. The rest are really all bought for my wife’s kitchen duties (don’t tell her I called them duties) :whistle: . You will love them but; be carful, they come wicked edge sharp…..

Jack

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

These are much closer to real Japanese knives there are two very popular Japanese carbon steels white & blue the blue is superior . The stainless cladding will be a softer steel so sharpening will be easy especially since they are hollow ground by the looks of the photos.
    I would say these knives will be a synch to sharpen and look stunning!

I am just waiting for a santuku with a core of the HAP40 super steel this steel stays sharp between 3- 5 times longer than most steels Rockwell Hardness 64-68

Attachments:
    Fred Hermann
    Participant

That’s a nice knife Leo…
    My Shun Classics…a 6″ fillet (the funky curved blade) and a 4″ paring. Both are the sharpest out of the box I’ve ever seen. I love everything about them which is why I’m looking/drooling at those 2.

Anyone fool with blue steel yet? I’m wondering how it sharpens, other than well…

Leo Barr
    Participant

Thank you I have a Higo which is blue steel . Here is i link to read a little about it you cannot go wrong with a Shun! http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/japanese_steel.htm

Nicholas Angeja
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 51

I’ve got a few blue carbon steel knives and I’ve been checking out the blue carbon steel shun your talking about for a while now:)I have fallen in love with Blue carbon, takes an edge very well, holds it extremely well, and it’s actually pretty easy to sharpen compared to white carbon and powder steel in my experience. I don’t recommend getting a blue carbon boning knife at all, because carbon knives are more brittle then stainless especially when making contact with bone or scraping at bone. The only reason I haven’t invested in a shun blue carbon is I really don’t like the feel of the handle, it gets very wide by the heel of the handle and the handle is too long for my small hands. Great steel and Shun makes some beautiful knives that’s forsure

Leo Barr
    Participant

One thought occurred to me and something I do frequently especially with Japanese knives is try to find something on You Tube showing how to use these types of knives. I have found some excellent instruction on how to use Debas and Yangi .
    Yes the blue steel will be more brittle than a Western made knife but if you find out how the Japanese use their boning knives I am certain that you will not have any problems with them – they tend to push cut using the upper body weight rather than chop and slice a lot more than Western chefs since I am not a chef I find their techniques work for me.
    Here is a link to de boning a chicken with a Shun although it is not your knife the knife barely touches bone.

Kent
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 26

My shun is a sg2. Mainly because I held all excpect the revesered line and the fuji fit my and the girlfriend hands the best.

Like others said carbon steel should take an edge very easy compared to the power steels.

Fred Hermann
    Participant

I did look in YouTube for videos, learned stuff as usual. Only found one review for the shorter version of the knife.
    I seldom do significant deboning or carcass breakdown, but when I do, I do it Japanese style, so breakage for me is very low probablity.
    It will be interesting to see how this sharpens up compared to VG-10 or Elmax.

Leo Barr
    Participant

7 seconds to make a decision then what takes the time is accepting the decision .a quote from Ghostdog sort of Japanese Samurai philosophy .You had already decided to get it when you first posted !!
    Since we sharpen I think it is justified to splash out on some exotic knives since it is not good to learn to
    sharpen a new type of knife at someone else’s expense that how I justified my first Shun.

I reckon it will be easier to sharpen .
    One of the things that makes a good knife is ease of sharpening and edge retention this is why most good knives are laminated so that the non cutting part of the blade is easily ground away and then in a sword it is to allow the blade to be less brittle so hard center soft skin gives greater flex and it is easier to sharpen

Happy Birthday if it has not passed yet!

Fred Hermann
    Participant

Sept 15th…and the knife is ordered…though I don’t know about it 🙂

Leo Barr
    Participant

We will all keep stum on it then enjoy!!

Fred Hermann
    Participant

Look for my review of the knife…oh this is neat.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Look for my review of the knife…oh this is neat.

Looking forward! Particularly on the knife geometry and the steel…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.