Advanced Search

Kangaroo leather strops

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Kangaroo leather strops

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

Is there any word on when, or if, kangaroo leather strops will be available for WE? If not, has anyone tried to make some?

For example, can the kangaroo leather strops (that are for EdgePro) be used on WE? Maybe the aluminum backing could be removed and the leather re-attached to WE paddles? Any suggestions?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I got them directly from Ken. He provides them with an aluminium backing. You can mount this yourself on WEPS paddles. Ken has the WEPS roo strops priced similarly to the Edge Pro ones (so a bit cheaper, since the WEPS paddles are somewhat smaller, but since you need two of them, it will be a bit more expensive overall).

Just drop Ken a line.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

I also have Kangaroo and nanocloth available – I can mount them onto WE handles or send them out just on the aluminum backing (with 3m tape if you need it). I can also pair them with shaptons or choseras or regular leather – whatever you like. Ken cuts them and assembles onto aluminum backing and I just resell… If I can help just let me know

Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

Thanks Mark76. I sent Ken a PM. Then I saw BobNash’s reply. I wish I had known that the kangaroo strops for WEPS was available. I would have ordered some as soon as they became available. I’m excited to get them and put that beautiful final finish on my blades.

Robert Nash
    Participant

Thanks Mark76. I sent Ken a PM. Then I saw BobNash’s reply. I wish I had known that the kangaroo strops for WEPS was available. I would have ordered some as soon as they became available. I’m excited to get them and put that beautiful final finish on my blades.

Holymolar – You are gonna love them – finish and edge are just awesome! :woohoo: I’m upgrading my microscopic photo ability to see about getting some better photos, now that the finish is even smoother! I’ve had them in stock for about 8 weeks now and it has been hard to get word out that they are available – not enough searches for them on Google to run ad words for them specifically and though Clay isn’t carrying them currently, I feel uncomfortable selling on his website…

Mark76
    Participant

Hey Bob, just discovered your site! Interesting stuff there.

It’s another topic, but can you tell us how the edge tester works?

And I might be interested in the rust eraser. Not to erase rust (I use sandpaper for that), but your site says it is also suitable for cleaning ceramic rods. Can you tell us how that works? (I don’t know whether it is similar to what Chef Knives To Go sells, but they used to sell something for cleaning ceramic stones/rods as well.)

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

The Edge Tester is from Razor Edge Systems… here’s the instructions for it…

http://www.razoredgesystems.com/images/pdf/the_edge_tester.pdf

cbw

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

The Edge Tester is from Razor Edge Systems… here’s the instructions for it…

http://www.razoredgesystems.com/images/pdf/the_edge_tester.pdf

cbw[/quote]

looks like the old “bic ball point pen trick”.. Although we are a long way ( a month or two at least) from the point where we are going to release plans for Version 1, a group of us has been working on a “build it yourself” edge tester that you can assemble in an afternoon for under $50. If we can get everything working right it will tell you *alot* more than any bic pen every did about your edges. 😉

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

looks like the old “bic ball point pen trick”.. Although we are a long way ( a month or two at least) from the point where we are going to release plans for Version 1, a group of us has been working on a “build it yourself” edge tester that you can assemble in an afternoon for under $50. If we can get everything working right it will tell you *alot* more than any bic pen every did about your edges. 😉

You’re right, although the Edge Tester is a bit more consistent, and the way the ends are shaped… will detect smaller imperfections (chips, burrs, etc.) vs. a pen. I think it’s a bit harder too… you can check your edges without cutting into it.

I tracked down the edge tester you’re building when you mentioned it in another post. Does look interesting… looks like you’re putting some serious thought into it. Cool stuff.

cbw

Mark76
    Participant

looks like the old “bic ball point pen trick”..

It most definitely does 🙂 . The “real” edge tester is looking promising. Still catching up with the videos, but I’m very impressed.

Robert Nash
    Participant

Hey Bob, just discovered your site! Interesting stuff there.

And I might be interested in the rust eraser. Not to erase rust (I use sandpaper for that), but your site says it is also suitable for cleaning ceramic rods. Can you tell us how that works? (I don’t know whether it is similar to what Chef Knives To Go sells, but they used to sell something for cleaning ceramic stones/rods as well.)

hey guys – sorry for the slow reply. Been helping at WE this week and it has stretched my time to the limits – trying to catch up on everything today.

The rust eraser is similar to what Mark sells on CKTG – his is made by Idahone specifically for cleaning their ceramics. The one is sell is a different company but works the same – it is a rubber eraser with an abrasive embedded into the rubber which just makes it work faster than a regular eraser would – and it works great, so I’m told, for removing rust spots from firearms too, though I’ve never had to try that yet. For rust and tarnish on blades I’ve found that some blades it will get back to shiny without a ton of work, some take quite a bit of scrubbing followed by some type of polish like flitz.

The edge tester was invented by John Juranitch and he references it in his book “Razor Edge Sharpening” It is much like the bic pen test, or using your thumb nail, but the plastic is much harder. He came up with it for a consistent edge testing/comparison in meat processing environments. It is pen sized – hang it in your pocket or brief case and it is always along. They outline 4 tests with increasing sensitivity (thanks CBW for putting up the instructions, saved me from turning my set into an image file) –
    1. lean the tester over and check that the edge catches – dull edges just skate off. – they specify 45 degrees, but if you have been testing on your finger nail or a pen you know you can lay it over much farther than that and get a tight angle to catch. (this is like using an onion too, dull blade just slides off the onion skin) Not much of a revelation here as you can just do this with your thumb nail – but if you are testing a lot you end up with grooves in your thumbnail so deep that will catch your alignment guide 🙂
    2. is laying the tester flat and slicing the blade along the edge and feeling roughness – again just like you can do on your thumbnail
    3 and 4 use the cone shaped plastic on either end. First pulling it down the edge, then pushing it down the edge.
    I find tests 1 and 4 to be the most useful – I use these when someone hands me their knife and just skip the others. 1 lets you test the bite of the edge along the full blade length and get a feel for the angle on the knife. 4 really lets you feel the little tiny chips or catches in the blade, little ones you can’t even see with 45x loupe (or feel with your thumb nail or earlier tests) will catch on it and stop the tester. Rough factory edges feel like you are shoving it down a saw blade, fine edges on the WE do actually cut way into the plastic conical ends and feel like you are pushing it on ice.
    When I’m done sharpening on WE I use only test 4.
    Let someone try these tests before and after you sharpen – it keeps them from cutting their fingers and give them a comparison they can see and feel.

For me, I find it accentuates my OCD a little too much at times! 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.