Advanced Search

Introduction…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Hey guys, after forgetting my login name and password I created a new account. It has been years since my last post on the forum. The site has actually gotten way better and seems to work well, which was my beef with it before.

Now on to my requests for help or answers. My strops that I got came with the 3.5 & 5 micron paste, are these the leather ones? Has anyone noticed a concave shape in them over time? And yes, I have used them correctly.

I have the ceramic stones (1200 & 1600) and have noticed a concave shape start to develop in these.

After seeing posts on the ‘tube’, I never realized that I was actually putting different angles on my knives. Due to the variation of knife thickness and the movement of the right side of the vise. I thought they were even, because of the degrees etched on the angle adjustment bar (I’m sure there is a better name for it) and I just knew my knives were very sharp.

Now, since I know ‘it’s’ there I have to go back and fix this on a lot of knives. Other than having an angle cube, what is the best way to make the angles as close to even as possible? And on the cheap, any positive suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I’m sure the moderators will move this to the right forum topic.
    Jeff

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hey guys, after forgetting my login name and password I created a new account. It has been years since my last post on the forum. The site has actually gotten way better and seems to work well, which was my beef with it before.

Welcome back.

Now on to my requests for help or answers. My strops that I got came with the 3.5 & 5 micron paste, are these the leather ones? Has anyone noticed a concave shape in them over time? And yes, I have used them correctly.

Both the balsa and leather come with the same compound, so don’t know. I suppose either could wear some, although it shouldn’t be an issue for quite some time..

I have the ceramic stones (1200 & 1600) and have noticed a concave shape start to develop in these.

Maybe you could snap a picture of these and the above strops… Clay or someone might be able to tell if the wear is abnormal.

After seeing posts on the ‘tube’, I never realized that I was actually putting different angles on my knives. Due to the variation of knife thickness and the movement of the right side of the vise. I thought they were even, because of the degrees etched on the angle adjustment bar (I’m sure there is a better name for it) and I just knew my knives were very sharp.

There will be a slight variation, unless the knife thickness is greater than approx. 1/8″, it’ll be less than a degree. If greater, or you’re seeing a noticeable difference, you can add a degree to the right side to adjust.

Now, since I know ‘it’s’ there I have to go back and fix this on a lot of knives. Other than having an angle cube, what is the best way to make the angles as close to even as possible? And on the cheap, any positive suggestion would be appreciated.

I don’t think it needs “fixing”… again, most cases, it’s under a degree difference.

An alternative way of measuring angles that I’ve been playing with is a protractor similar to this…

… (I’ll probably make a post at some point)… you can pick one up at most hardware stores. Not as efficient as the digital angle gauge… but it works.

Thanks in advance and I’m sure the moderators will move this to the right forum topic.
    Jeff
    Moved! 🙂

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Jeff,

Welcome back! I agree with Curtis, I also don’t know whether you have balsa or leather strops, since both come with the same paste. A picture of the wear could help. My strops (balsa and leather) don’t really wear unevenly, but it is easy to get them nicked if you don’t take care.

Like Curtis I don’t think there is anything to correct. Your knives will cut exactly as well when they are ground 19/21 as when 20/20. The key is repeatability: if you reclamp a knife in the same spot (using the guide), you will exactly match the angles you sharpened at the previous time, so touch-ups are a breeze.

Nevertheless, if you want to know the angles exactly, I think an angle cube is the way to go. They´re not that expensive…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jeff
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Hey Mark and Curtis,

Thanks for the repies. I really appreciate them a lot. You both set my mind at ease on the knives I own, and I will rest easier because of that.

The protractor idea is great. I wish I could afford the angle cube right now, but if I want to upgrade to the new arms I need to save $$ for that.

I love the sharpener, and I just want to make sure like everyone else here (or who has bought one), that I’m performing at my best when sharpening.

Mark, your avatar is very cool. But I start drooling when I see Curtis’ (Lucky!)

Peace,
    Jeff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.