Advanced Search

Im New & Need Help…

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Im New & Need Help…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Angel Tellez
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 15

Ive been considering updating to a better sharpening system, the two Ive really had my eyes on are the Edge Pro Apex and Wicked Edge systems. Lately Ive been leaning towards the Wicked Edge because of huge variety of stones and strops and because of some of the reviews Ive seen. But I really need to keep the price as low as possible, around $500 probably, but I want to get the most performance for the money, which is why Im leaning towards the Wicked Edge. I still have some questions that Im hoping someone on the forums can answer for me. I have a Lansky Diamond Deluxe with all the extras and a Spyderco Sharpmaker with Ulta Fine Rods, and those are the only sharpeners I know how to use.

1. First and most important question: How is the WE at sharpening Recurved blades? And Will I be able to sharpen my recurves with the flat stones or will I NEED the curved stones? I have a Kershaw Storm, Speed Bump, ZT 350SW, ZT 303, and Custom Recurved Fixed Blade (10inches overall) that I am very concerned about.

2. I am considering getting the normal system plus the 800/1000 grit diamond and 1.4/.6 micron ceramic stones, but is there too big of a gap inbetween the 1000 grit diamond and 1.4 mircon ceramic? If this does work, what kind of results should I expect? If this would not work what stone do I need to bridge the gap? Im trying not to spend too much money, I have a young growing family so I need to buy only what I NEED. So please remember this when referring stones and accessories.

3. Is the 100 grit stone efficient for reprofiling? Is it better or worse than the Lansky 70 grit? I know that sounds like a stupid question and it probably is, but Ive heard that some stones cut faster due to size and maker…

4. Does the Wicked Edge Field & Sport have all the new upgrades that were done to the arms and vice of the WEPS 2? Im not sure if Im referring to the right system, but I know that some (or all?) WE sharpeners have been upgraded and Im just wondering if the WE Field & Sport was also upgraded.

Thank you all very much for any help!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forums! You’ll find a great number of questions and answers here.

Just a few quick answers to your questions. Don’t hesitate to ask more questions.

1. The WEPS can do curved blades as well. People have gotten some great results on them. Just look at this picture (page 2 of the thread). However, it is slightly less straightforward than doing non-recurved blades and requires some practice. Here are a two more links to threads on doing recurved blades: 1, 2 .

2. The 1.4 micron stones are great successors to the 1000 grit stones. (The 1.4 micron stones may actually be slightly more coarse than 1.4 micron.) If there is a “grit jump”, it’s probably between the 1.4 micron and the 06 micron stones. This is no problem in practice, by the way. (Many free hand sharpeners use only three stones to sharpen their knives.)

3. Yes, the 100 grit is fine for reprofiling. I also have the 50/80 stones, but in practice I seldom use them.

4. I don’t have a WEPS Field & Sport, but since it uses a different angle bar and joints, the new arms may not work on this WEPS. Maybe someone who owns this system can jump in.

Success with your choice!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Angel Tellez
    Participant

Thank you for the help Mark! The links you posted are not working for me though, they just send me to the WE home page. Could you PM them to me or email them to me? My email address is ares1307@live.com . BTW, do you know how I could change my User Name?

Thank you very much for the information! The WE being able to sharpen recurves with the flat stones and the fact that I can go from the 1000 grit stone to the 1.4 ceramic has really put my mind at ease. I just learned how to strop so now I want all my knives to be scary sharp, but I lack the skill to get these results with my recurves. Ive tried to use the Lansky on my Kershaw Speed Bump and ZT 350SW but I ended up having to send them both back to the factory for resharpening because I messed them up. I didnt ruin them or anything, but they arnt perfect anymore so I sent them to the spa. I just want a system that I can use and not have to be afraid that Im going to ruin my knives. But my choice is made, the Wicked Edge will be MINE. 👿 Although, I was thinking of buying the Field & Sport model, so I can take it with me when I go hunting and what not and it would take up less room here at home or even in hotels, but if it did not receive the new improvements then Ill end up buying the Precision model.

I dont do alot of reprofiling or repairing, except for some kitchen knives and my fixed blades when they take their beatings, so the 100 grit diamond will probably be fine for me, Im guessing it will probably be faster than the 70 grit on my Lansky because of its size (it being wider will allow it to cover more area) but thats just a guess. I might buy the Ultra/Extra Coarse but I might wait to see how the 100 grit performs first.

The only real problem I have right now, is the wait. I know that the WE is on backorder because of the upgrade, but thats not the only wait for me. I promised my Wife (The Boss 😆 ) that I would wait until after the holidays to make my order. But hopefully, by the time I make my order the WE might be in stock. That would be great. Again, Thank you for your help Mark, your info has made me feel very confident in my choice.

Mark76
    Participant

You’re welcome, Angeltellez! I edited the links, please try again. Then you’ll also see there is some skill involved in sharpening recurves. (And, quite coincidentally, one of the links is about sharpening the ZT 350 🙂 .)

And I am not sure the new arms don’t work on a WEPS Field and Sport, particularly now Clay is also replacing the angle bars, so I hope someone who owns them jumps in.

I am not aware that you can change your user name. (Even as a mod I know how to ban someone 😉 , but not how to change a name.) Maybe the site admin can tell us.

I am also well aware of the power of the boss 😀 . But after half a year my boss is very happy with our wickedly sharp kitchen knives.

Angel Tellez
    Participant

Ive been reading and now Im confused, again. 😆 Does the Wicked Edge Precision Sharpener have the new upgrades or just the Wicked Edge Pro Pack 2???

Mark76
    Participant

The answer I gave is: I think it doesn’t, but I am not sure. That’s why I asked someone more knowledgeable to jump in 😆 .

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

The Wicked Edge Basic Kit and the Pro-Pack I do not have the upgraded arms. Either can easily be upgraded but they don’t come that way automatically. All of us have gotten tremendous results with the regular arms; the new ones are designed to satisfy a particular niche (namely the OCD in some of us) and to allow for micro-adjustments. If you go with either the Basic Kit or Pro-Pack I, the upgrade for the new arms is $145.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

BTW, do you know how I could change my User Name?

Although, I was thinking of buying the Field & Sport model, so I can take it with me when I go hunting and what not and it would take up less room here at home or even in hotels, but if it did not receive the new improvements then Ill end up buying the Precision model.

To change your username, click on your name, then click on the “Edit” box on the right side of the screen, there it looks like you can change your name.

The new upgrades do not fit the Field and Sport model.

Mark76
    Participant

To change your username, click on your name, then click on the “Edit” box on the right side of the screen, there it looks like you can change your name.

Thanks! That works!

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Thanks! That works![/quote]

For some reason Internet Explorer doesn’t allow editing for me, but Chrome & Firefox do.

But I must warn everyone, you may end up with a stupid avatar if you’re not careful. 😉

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

About recurved blades:

If anyone is familiar with the SOG Toothlock, I did one on the WEPS last week for a friend and it worked well. Being the first recurved blade I tried, I was very careful with it and only matched the factory grind as best as I could. I used the Pro Pack contents starting at the 400 stones to match and raise a burr, up to the 1000 stone and the 5um and 3.5um strops. The only area which required more care was the heel of the blade, really. It didn’t come out perfect, but the edge is much better than factory and looks nice too 🙂

It’s tough to see in this picture because of the angle (I am not a photographer :silly: ) but the recurve is more pronounced than the picture lets on.

Angel Tellez
    Participant

Well now Clay added the upgrade to the page, and IF I understand correctly, only the Pro Pack 2 comes with the upgrades.. all others will have to buy it separately. But the price on the upgrade kit isnt bad at all. My price limit $500 is shattered though. 😆 Oh well, I really believe that it will be worth every penny. Thanks again for all of your help! BTW, the links are working now and thank you for them, they are much help.

^I didnt notice there was a second page with Clay answering this himself. 😆

About my User name and profile, it wont let me change it.. maybe because of IE (as stated above by Billabong).

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

About my User name and profile, it wont let me change it.. maybe because of IE (as stated above by Billabong).

It will be IE, can you try Chrome or FireFox?

Simply greyed out, perhaps Clay can refer this to the WebMaster?

Angel Tellez
    Participant

I got it! I forgot I had Chrome on my computer too, I just never really use it. But I switched to Chrome and got it working. Thank you very much!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.