Advanced Search

I was at Blade Show and I saw…

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat I was at Blade Show and I saw…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Just kidding. I wish I was there. But somebody else was there and filmed something interesting…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Thanks for sharing the video Mark – Here is the full set up!
    Blade 2012 accessory of the year. Check out the facebook page for some more pics (hope this one links ok, if not I’ll try again). Congrats to the WE team! I haven’t heard any time line in my discussions with Clay but maybe when he gets back from Atlanta and into the office…..

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

haven’t heard any time line in my discussions with Clay but maybe when he gets back from Atlanta and into the office…..

Scratch that – he posted a comment on Facebook of 3 – 4 weeks for all parts to be available to upgrade existing sharpeners, or buy with new ones!

martin lind
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 78

that looks realy great, price and when can it be shipped anyone heard anything about that?
    martin

Steven Corpstein
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 6

Given my order was caught up in the back order, I’d opt to wait a bit longer and get the new version instead of all the modifications I’ve heard people have been doing.

I just hate spending that amount of money for the Pro system only to receive it and find out this supersedes my brand new one before it even arrives. How about others that are waiting for delivery?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Will the new rod arms fix the play between the paddles inside diameter and the rod’s outside diameter? It would be EXCELLENT if these would be slightly larger to still allow for free movement, but not have as much play. and we wouldn’t have to use the Subway straw fix on the existing arms then =) Can’t wait!!! I’m def. in!

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

The modded rod arm joints that I am using now are pretty tight, meaning close tolerances, not stiff.
    But, if this angle fine adjustment works well it would save a bunch of fiddling trying to get tenths of a degree locked in on both sides equally. Depending on pricing, I just might have to pick up a set.
    It would be nice if the rods fit the stone holders just a wee bit better. The straws work, but add issues of their own.

Phil

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Will the new rod arms fix the play between the paddles inside diameter and the rod’s outside diameter? It would be EXCELLENT if these would be slightly larger to still allow for free movement, but not have as much play. and we wouldn’t have to use the Subway straw fix on the existing arms then =) Can’t wait!!! I’m def. in!

The new set I have been working with did not have as much difference between the ID of the paddle and OD of the rods so there was very little play. I started out with some heat shrink on the rods but took it off after a couple of knives as it hadn’t actually shrunk all that well and was slipping up. We may be going to single paddle system with interchangeable stones at some point and then we could investigate a brass bushing inside the paddle. It would raise the cost too much to add them to every paddle.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant

We may be going to single paddle system with interchangeable stones at some point and then we could investigate a brass bushing inside the paddle. It would raise the cost too much to add them to every paddle.

That is exciting news! I even heard a guy from Taiwan rumor that these paddles may contain a built-in inclinometer. Was there a lot of beer at Blade show, or might there be a grain of truth in these rumors?

wickededge
    Keymaster

We may be going to single paddle system with interchangeable stones at some point and then we could investigate a brass bushing inside the paddle. It would raise the cost too much to add them to every paddle.

That is exciting news! I even heard a guy from Taiwan rumor that these paddles may contain a built-in inclinometer. Was there a lot of beer at Blade show, or might there be a grain of truth in these rumors?[/quote]

Um, there was a lot of beer… BUT, we are working w/ to incorporate inclinometers into the paddles! I’m hoping to see prototypes from the manufacturer of the inclinometers this month.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant

Great! I love the continous innovation going on at Wicked Edge!

I happened to call the office yesteday to ask whether I could order some modified rods and there was some confusion which improvements I was talking about 😆 .

wickededge
    Keymaster

Great! I love the continous innovation going on at Wicked Edge!

I happened to call the office yesteday to ask whether I could order some modified rods and there was some confusion which improvements I was talking about 😆 .

Poor crew at the office was swamped with calls about the new arms and all the other features we’re adding. It’s my fault for keeping the details really close over the last few weeks. We’re also still trying to pin down the final details with the machine shop so we’re not 100% set on all the parts of the Pro-Pack II. It was such a whirlwind to even get the parts designed and produced in time for Blade that some of the details aren’t yet complete.

-Clay

David Johnson
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

I too am caught up in the back-order right now. Will the back-order continue until the new arms come in? or will old-style systems ship out? I’d rather not get a shiny new wicked edge only to need to order new-style arms.

wickededge
    Keymaster

I too am caught up in the back-order right now. Will the back-order continue until the new arms come in? or will old-style systems ship out? I’d rather not get a shiny new wicked edge only to need to order new-style arms.

All the current orders will ship with the standard arms, which we’ll probably continue with for a long time since the current joints work tremendously well. I’ve always gotten amazing results with them and although there is a little more play, I don’t really find any issue with it when it comes to results. The new joints are impressive, but the current ones shouldn’t be underestimated. 1 degree precision isn’t anything to sniff at either. The new joints with micro-adjustments are much more expensive and I don’t want to drive the cost up so far that it will put the unit out of reach for a lot of people. The new joints will be available as upgrades, but I’d recommend getting good with the system you’ve ordered and seeing what it can really do, then decide if it’s worth it to upgrade to the new joints. You may find that you’re entirely satisfied with current model.

-Clay

David Johnson
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

All the current orders will ship with the standard arms, which we’ll probably continue with for a long time since the current joints work tremendously well. I’ve always gotten amazing results with them and although there is a little more play, I don’t really find any issue with it when it comes to results. The new joints are impressive, but the current ones shouldn’t be underestimated. 1 degree precision isn’t anything to sniff at either. The new joints with micro-adjustments are much more expensive and I don’t want to drive the cost up so far that it will put the unit out of reach for a lot of people. The new joints will be available as upgrades, but I’d recommend getting good with the system you’ve ordered and seeing what it can really do, then decide if it’s worth it to upgrade to the new joints. You may find that you’re entirely satisfied with current model.[/quote]

Fair enough. Thanks for the quick response.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.