Advanced Search

I Just got my Pro Pak 1

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat I Just got my Pro Pak 1

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sol Rabinowitz
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

Hello To All,
    I just got my WEPS pp1 a few days ago and let me tell you I am impressed. I was on the fence for a while on making the jump to it. It is an investment to be sure, but if you are into sharp knives you will not be disappointed. There is a very short learning curve to the motion of the arms but by the finish of my first knife it felt comfortable and easy.
    I raised a burr on both sides with the 100 grit stones and did follow up with the rest of them but did not shoot for a burr each time. I just worked a dozen or so strokes till the feel was smooth and moved on to the next set of stones. Is this what you all are doing? The knife did finish up nice and sharp after the stropping with the two pastes included in the kit.
    I did notice the knife clamp base where the lower screw pushes on, to get a nice burr or indentation. Anyone else notice this and is there a way to alleviate it?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Glad you’re enjoying your sharpener… sounds like your process is a good one. It might take a bit more than a “dozen or so” strokes to clean up the previous stone… “till the feel was smooth” sounds like a better way to tell… along with how the bevel/edge looks. As your stones break in, the results will get even better.

The bottom screw will dig into the aluminum a bit… this will stop when the center of the screw makes contact. You can lightly sand the screw smooth and flat to help alleviate this.

Have fun!

Sol Rabinowitz
    Participant

Thanks Curtis.
    I need to scrounge up a bunch of knives to sharpen. I have the Edge Pro as well for a long time so I don’t have any dull knives around. Not sure about touch ups on the Weps for knives sharpened on the edge pro because, I have written down the EP settings and dont think it will correlate accurately to the Weps.
    Solman

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Did you happen to use the angle cube on the EP? Or if you have an angle cube, you could set up your EP according to your written settings, check angle with the cube, use a sharpie , set angle on WEPS to cube, and see what happens.

Just a thought

Sol Rabinowitz
    Participant

Yes I did use the angle cube on the EP but I was looking to avoid that hassle with the Weps. I try to use the EP on a color mark if I am going from scratch. This way it’s repeatable without using the angle cube. With the Weps I guess I could do it once with the cube and see and write down the results. The EP is infinitely adjustable and with the weps you have to set to the nearest notch. So I am thinking that for a touch up I would set to the nearest notch on the guide leaning to the acute side.
    Knives that were sharpened on the weps from the get go are of course no problem to touch up if you keep track of your settings. Just set up and go starting with the 600 grit and on up. A touch up I am guessing should take just a few minuets.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Yes I did use the angle cube on the EP but I was looking to avoid that hassle with the Weps. I try to use the EP on a color mark if I am going from scratch. This way it’s repeatable without using the angle cube. With the Weps I guess I could do it once with the cube and see and write down the results. The EP is infinitely adjustable and with the weps you have to set to the nearest notch. So I am thinking that for a touch up I would set to the nearest notch on the guide leaning to the acute side.
    Knives that were sharpened on the weps from the get go are of course no problem to touch up if you keep track of your settings. Just set up and go starting with the 600 grit and on up. A touch up I am guessing should take just a few minuets.

The upgrade arms are sweet and allow for infinite adjustment. Even with the original PP1 arms, you can flip the arm bar (part with the detents/notches) backward and have infinite adjustment as well. I have seen a few good you tubes vids on this.

For me precise angle control and repeatability is a key aspect that sold me on the WEPS. I think like others have said, with a marker and angle cube you can dial the WEPS in to the same angle.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Have the EP myself. Have never gone by the markings on the EP guide or WEPS guide, always used the cube. Like Geo says, WEPS is infinitely adjustable too. To keep your EP angle, check with cube, and if you do as Geo suggests, your results should be good.

There is likely a learning curve, but it is doable.

Best wishes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.