Advanced Search

Hunting Knife Questions

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hunting Knife Questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Martin Singer
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 22

What is the general rule for hunting knives?

Bevel angle for skinning knife? Hunting knife?

Which is better in the field; a toothy or polished edge?

Thanks for your help.
    Marty

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey Marty. What are you hunting and what is the steel of the knives in question?

Thanks for your help.
    Marty

-Clay

Martin Singer
    Participant

Thanks for responding Clay. The knives belong to my brother-in-law, they are for deer hunting. One is a beautiful, larger knife that is a custom. The skinner is a Schrade Old Timer Sharp Finger flat grind so I don’t know the steel but It profiles pretty easy (maybe not very hard). As a guess I started To profile at 25 degrees and thought I’d try a micro edge at 30 to make the edge last longer in the field .

The reality is that I don’t know what I’m doing.

Hey Marty. What are you hunting and what is the steel of the knives in question?

Thanks for your help.
    Marty

[/quote]

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I think I’d take them both to 20 degrees per side at 3.5um and see how they perform. If the edge isn’t holding up, then you can add a little micro-bevel at 22-23 degrees per side. I’ve done a lot (hundreds) of field dressing and even my AUS-8 knives hold up well in the 20-22 degree range.

Thanks for responding Clay. The knives belong to my brother-in-law, they are for deer hunting. One is a beautiful, larger knife that is a custom. The skinner is a Schrade Old Timer Sharp Finger flat grind so I don’t know the steel but It profiles pretty easy (maybe not very hard). As a guess I started To profile at 25 degrees and thought I’d try a micro edge at 30 to make the edge last longer in the field .

Thanks for your help.
    Marty

[/quote][/quote]

-Clay

Martin Singer
    Participant

Will do. Thank you.

I think I’d take them both to 20 degrees per side at 3.5um and see how they perform. If the edge isn’t holding up, then you can add a little micro-bevel at 22-23 degrees per side. I’ve done a lot (hundreds) of field dressing and even my AUS-8 knives hold up well in the 20-22 degree range.

Thanks for your help.
    Marty

[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.