Advanced Search

How to Loosen Up Ball Joints on Upgrade Arms

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance How to Loosen Up Ball Joints on Upgrade Arms

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I have the upgrade arms set with the ball joints. For 1 year the left side has been stiffer than the right side. The joints are not so loose as to allow the bare rod to fall on it’s own weight, but with a diamond stone it would fall. I use this as a rough reference as to how stiff or loose an arm is. Recently the left joint has gotten worse. I have tried oil, WD-40 and grease and no luck. The left joint is so stiff that I noticed when I move the arm the shaft would turn (against the set screw!).

My solution: I applied some WD-40 first to act as lubricant and cleaner. I remove the arm assembly from the base and chucked it in a 1/2″ drill. I chucked the drill on the hex flats (not on the threads). I ran the drill for 5 seconds at a time, both directions, 20-30 seconds total. While running the drill I twisted the arm to move the socket around the spinning ball. The joint got warm but I did not go any more than warm to the touch. I am pleased with the end result. The joints are now loose enough that the bare rod (no stone) will fall on it’s own weight. There is no “play” in the joint, so I don’t think I over did it or damaged anything. My goal was not so much to use the high speed but as to excelerate the wear I would get after a few years of normal use.

FYI – I consider my joints to be very clean. From day one I have a had a thumb of a rubber glove covering the ball joint. I think this has been very effective in protecting the joint from metal shavings and drips (off water stones). I also have super magnets to catch metal shavings. If the joints were not clean I would not have considered running them at high speed in a drill.

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Great solution for that – love coming on here and pickup those little tidbits – wish I could be around more. Thanks for sharing!

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

I’ve been too dang busy to stop by much …. but glad I did. Have always had a problem with this. One joint was so bad (as in very stiff) I just went ahead and ordered a replacement. However, back in the same ole predicament! What I have been doing is to take the stiff joint and hold it under some very hot running water. I then soak the ball joint with Dawn dish washing detergent. I move the joint around for a while, then rinse it off, but not dry it completely. That seems to work for quite a while before the stiffness returns. I may try your WD40 and drill technique next time. For the record, I also keep the the joints covered with the thumbs cut from rubber gloves. Really don’t think dirt or metal dust is the problem.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

That’s weird… Mine are very loose, they will fall on their own weight without any paddles on them! I even have very minimal (barely noticeable play in one of them…

Josh

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’ve been too dang busy to stop by much …. but glad I did. Have always had a problem with this. One joint was so bad (as in very stiff) I just went ahead and ordered a replacement. However, back in the same ole predicament! What I have been doing is to take the stiff joint and hold it under some very hot running water. I then soak the ball joint with Dawn dish washing detergent. I move the joint around for a while, then rinse it off, but not dry it completely. That seems to work for quite a while before the stiffness returns. I may try your WD40 and drill technique next time. For the record, I also keep the the joints covered with the thumbs cut from rubber gloves. Really don’t think dirt or metal dust is the problem.

I think you must have the older, brass colored ball joints that we started with. They have a nylon raceway that seems to get stiff over time. I’d love to hear if you try the drill method and if that works for you. If not, we can definitely get you a new set without the nylon raceway.

-Clay

Dennis Hibar
    Participant

I think you must have the older, brass colored ball joints that we started with. They have a nylon raceway that seems to get stiff over time. I’d love to hear if you try the drill method and if that works for you. If not, we can definitely get you a new set without the nylon raceway.

Yup Clay …. those are the ones I have. I think I will just go ahead and call in to order a set of these newer ones when I get a chance rather than keep messing with the old ones, now that I know the newer type doesn’t suffer from this problem. Well, “problem” might not be the best term. They still do the job ….

…. but with my aging, arthritic hands, it takes so much longer when one arm moves more freely and easily than the other (which is normally the case now). Trying to control different levels of pressure with each hand is …. well, “trying” at times!!

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Beautiful mirror edge and knife. What kind is it?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Dennis,

Great looking edge on a great knife. Excellent photo too!

–Clay

-Clay

Dennis Hibar
    Participant

Thanks ….

This is my small Chris Reeve 2006 annual Sebenza with Amboyna burl inlays. It’s my one and only annual and one I won’t soon part with! Had a large annual with Buckeye burl that I sold some time ago. Still regret it!!!

Here’s a pic of the complete knife …

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

That sir Is just one beautiful knife! Love, love it!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.