Advanced Search

How many knives on the WEPS? =)

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic How many knives on the WEPS? =)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I thought it would be fun to keep yearly totals of how many knives we sharpen (individually) on the weps, and how long the stones last, etc. Who’s game?

Last year I kept track and did 106 blades. This year so far I’ve done 54, so I am on schedule to do about 150. I also sharpened some the year before but didn’t keep track. But I haven’t had to replace stones yet!

I know some of you guys (Clay, Tuffy, and Eamon) probably sharpen way more than this… post up your best estimates if you haven’t been keeping track! =)

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Great idea – I’m game to trying to keep better track. I just started a completely new set of diamonds at the Eugene show so shouldn’t be too hard. Doing many fewer shows this year so my volume is way down though 🙁

I just retired my show set of 400/600 and 800/1000 diamonds to be used only on my personal knives as they are starting to get some bald spots – I’m trying to stretch their life out now as they sure do work great now :cheer: . The first show they got used at was back in 2011 in Albuquerque with Clay when he taught me how he does a show. They got me through more than 40 shows averaging somewhere around 40 – 50 knives a show. Been through a group of 100/200s since then – maybe 6 or 7. Haven’t replaced any other handles – 50/80s, superfines, curved etc but they really don’t get used much compared to the diamonds. Have replaced my strops probably twice (changed out the leather that is) I do almost every knife with 100 – 1000 plus 5/3.5 strops at shows – only occasionally do I need the other handles.

Josh
    Participant

Great idea – I’m game to trying to keep better track. I just started a completely new set of diamonds at the Eugene show so shouldn’t be too hard. Doing many fewer shows this year so my volume is way down though 🙁

I just retired my show set of 400/600 and 800/1000 diamonds to be used only on my personal knives as they are starting to get some bald spots – I’m trying to stretch their life out now as they sure do work great now :cheer: . The first show they got used at was back in 2011 in Albuquerque with Clay when he taught me how he does a show. They got me through more than 40 shows averaging somewhere around 40 – 50 knives a show. Been through a group of 100/200s since then – maybe 6 or 7. Haven’t replaced any other handles – 50/80s, superfines, curved etc but they really don’t get used much compared to the diamonds. Have replaced my strops probably twice (changed out the leather that is) I do almost every knife with 100 – 1000 plus 5/3.5 strops at shows – only occasionally do I need the other handles.

Thanks Bob! That is an incredible amount of knives that they handled! Wow… I never would have guessed that it would have been THAT high!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Interesting topic, Josh! I missed it when you first posted it. I’m curious how many knives other people did.

Last year I sharpened (estimation) about 300 knives. That may sound like a lot, but the majority of those are due to the fact that I sharpen the knives of chefs of a local restaurant. So every two weeks it is a matter of touching up those knives. Usually 600-1000 grit, and then, depending on the owner, ceramics, strops, or Choseras. Luckily I don’t have to do these knives from scratch. That’s the great thing about the WEPS, touching up is so easy!

I still have my original 400/600 and 800/1000 stones. And I’ve only recently obtained my second pair of 100/200 stones. These things last really long!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

i just replaced my 400/600 with new ones from bob nash above – this is now my 3rd set and i did replace my 800/1000’s as well – same time….my second set of 800/1000’s now.

i know i use the 400/600 more than any others. i just like the feel going from 200 to 400 and then 600. to me it is all about feel and sound. with my new 400/600’s now, after using them, i find i like using the old 600’s next and then on many knives i used the old 800/1000’s. since i do mostly kitchen knives at fairs, i normally stock here and then use wooden strop with black bark river compound to finish.

so now i have 3 sets of 400/600’s – two sets have bald spots on both edges all around the middle zone. like it said, the last set it still use, so what do i do now with all these paddles???

anyone offer replacement diamond inserts?
    Now knives in count – i do each fair on a sheet of paper by hand per customer, so i have the ability to go back and count each, but i do not and probably will not. just me.
    good luck to everyone – as Gavco would say, “don’t cut yourself”.

Attachments:
    Josh
    Participant

Thanks for chiming in guys!

Tuffy, I used to do exactly like what you are doing but have since converted everything to the “cloud” via Google drive. It makes it much easier (if you have a smart phone) because 1. you have your records everywhere you go 2. they don’t deteriorate (if you ever get audited they are there) 3. less space 4. you can set it up to calculate totals for you using a couple of simple formulas. See my attached pics, this is what I do =)

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

A couple of things to add to this great thread:

1) How often are people wearing out 50/80 and 100/200 stones? If a lot of people are replacing them, I have a great solution possible.

2) We’re still working on the new knife database that allows you to track customers and sharpening jobs really easily, including snapping before and after photos w/ your smart phone and putting it all into a nice little app.

Here is a preview of what it is going to look like: http://we.nibbleandbytesoftware.com/%5B/url%5D Feel free to get in there and check out the features. You can pull up knives by manufacturer and see all the models that are entered for that manufacturer. You can pull up individual knives and look at the sharpening history. You can keep your clients in there (confidentially) etc….

Here are a couple screen shots:

This first one shows a Benchmade and two sharpening sessions in the history.

This second screen shot shows Benchmade as a brand and then all the knife models that have been entered under that brand.

-Clay

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Tuffy, I used to do exactly like what you are doing but have since converted everything to the “cloud” via Google drive. It makes it much easier (if you have a smart phone) because 1. you have your records everywhere you go 2. they don’t deteriorate (if you ever get audited they are there) 3. less space 4. you can set it up to calculate totals for you using a couple of simple formulas. See my attached pics, this is what I do =)

i might need a short class on this google doc.
    seems spread sheet is excel??

once home i convert info here – if i know cust. name, etc, but the ones i bring home i enter.

Attachments:
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

i forgot————-
    sometimes too much info. is bad – my opinion – regarding $$$ – none of us will become howard hunts doing this, so keep it simple and EFFECTIVE AS NEEDED.

Josh
    Participant

thanks for that Clay! That is sweet!!! I haven’t found a need to replace my 100/200’s yet, but I don’t sharpen near as many as tuffy… and when I reprofile I let my belt sander do the rough work. What solution do you have in mind (if you don’t mind sharing)? i’m very curious now =)

Tuffy, Google docs spreadsheet is just like Excel as far as formulas go… just make 2 additional columns at the end of your sheet there (on your main sheet) and add totals with formulas to calculate them for you. I will help you out if you need it just advise.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

thanks for that Clay! That is sweet!!! I haven’t found a need to replace my 100/200’s yet, but I don’t sharpen near as many as tuffy… and when I reprofile I let my belt sander do the rough work. What solution do you have in mind (if you don’t mind sharing)? i’m very curious now =)

Tuffy, Google docs spreadsheet is just like Excel as far as formulas go… just make 2 additional columns at the end of your sheet there (on your main sheet) and add totals with formulas to calculate them for you. I will help you out if you need it just advise.

ok josh, i will check it out – thanks.

i use both at the fairs……….smart phone and ipad or ipad mini depending on WiFi availability. my ipad is generation 1 and works only on WiFi.but must have killer antenna, mush stronger than damn mini job.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’ve been testing some diamond stones that are diamond through and through, not just plated with 1+ layer of diamonds. They’re basically impossible to wear out. So far, I’m really liking them. They are expensive though.

-Clay

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

You have my attention

Josh
    Participant

I’ve been testing some diamond stones that are diamond through and through, not just plated with 1+ layer of diamonds. They’re basically impossible to wear out. So far, I’m really liking them. They are expensive though.[/quote]

Oh wow! I’m interested too! But I bet they are expensive! How cool is that… I love the innovation!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

2) We’re still working on the new knife database that allows you to track customers and sharpening jobs really easily, including snapping before and after photos w/ your smart phone and putting it all into a nice little app.

Wow Clay, that looks great! I was thinking about making an Android app that does something similar: making it really easy to take pictures of knives, add extra info, and upload them to a website.

But that’s quite a job, at least for me. A long time ago I could program in Pascal. I’m now learning myself Java. But this is really a hobby project and in all fairness, I don’t know whether I’ll get to making a serious app. So if somebody is doing this for you…

If they need someone to think with them, I’ll be happy to do that. I think ease of use is key to the success of an app like this.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.