Advanced Search

How long?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat How long?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Darragh O’Flaherty
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 15

How long does it take people to reprofile and create a burr on both sides of a knife??
    It took me 20mins to get a burr on both sides of a 9.4 slicer today, does this seem long?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

How long does it take people to reprofile and create a burr on both sides of a knife??
    It took me 20mins to get a burr on both sides of a 9.4 slicer today, does this seem long?

It always seems like the answer is the same: it depends 🙂

In this case, it depends on how hard the steel is, if you’re re-profiling to a lower angle and/or how far gone the bevels were to begin with. If the knife had been hand sharpened for a long time, it probably had some pretty big, rounded shoulders that needed to be flattened out and those can take a while to knock down.

-Clay

Darragh O’Flaherty
    Participant

I re profiled a Misono ux10 slicer from 70/30 to 50/50 at 14 degree either side. Its a swedish stainless steel factory edge, first time sharpening it

wickededge
    Keymaster

I re profiled a Misono ux10 slicer from 70/30 to 50/50 at 14 degree either side. Its a swedish stainless steel factory edge, first time sharpening it

I think I have the same knife. Do you recall what the original angle was before sharpening?

-Clay

Darragh O’Flaherty
    Participant

Not quite sure, recall someone saying 11 on one side and 15 on the other

wickededge
    Keymaster

Did you take time to try and make the bevels the same size?

-Clay

Darragh O’Flaherty
    Participant

yes i got a burr on both sides eventually just took some time

wickededge
    Keymaster

So both sides now have bevels of the same angle and width?

-Clay

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Not what Clay meant. First off, you need to do the sharpie trick to actually find out what the actual angle is currently on the blade. It probably has a slight difference on each side. You can not go by what someone said. After you do that and set the angle correctly to what it was at, then creating a burr usually does not take long.

creating a burr on each side has nothing to do with having equal bevel width on each side. The bevel width is how wide the bevel is that you sharpen into the blade. Even if you set the angle the same on each side, that does not mean the bevel width will be equal. That all depends on how the knife is mounted and how the manufacturer actually created the main bevel of the blade. I do not have many blades that have the main bevel equal at all.

But, now that you have the bevel angle set on your blade, the next time you sharpen it, it will take no time to raise a burr and have a sharp edge. If you do not “take the time to find the bevel angle” using the sharpie trick and measuring each side with the angle cube you are more than likely changing the bevel, or re-profiling the edge and that takes time. I have taken waaayyy longer than 1hr before to raise a burr when changing the angle of the bevel. All depends on what you are trying to accomplish!

Welcome to the rabbit hole! :woohoo:

Skyler J Baker
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 16

Most factory knives have an attrocioous level of variation between sides, One knife I had would microbevel at 15 degrees at one side, and hit the shoulders on the other side.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.