Advanced Search

How long do the stones last

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business How long do the stones last

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Gary
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 8

I realize I just started a topic in this business category. If two is too many, I apologize. But in my defense, I am REALLY amped up right now for sharpening things….

How long are the stones and strops lasting you guys who have been sharpening for a while? One of the reasons I went with DMT diamond hones over waterstones is the DMT have a much slower (read “almost never”) wear rate. I have no doubt that waterstones could give me a better edge.

What are you all’s opinions based on experience with this issue? I know I can buy backups for all the stones, I’m just curious how often that might have to happen.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

The diamond stones last very long. I’ve been using them for about two years now and they still work fine. The same applies to the ceramic stones. Waterstones do wear (Chosera’s more than Shaptons), but given their thickness you can still use them on a lot of knives. I’ve never bought replacement stones.

The leather strops work very long, too, if you use them properly. But I must say I’ve nicked a few of those… In that case the balsa strops are a bit stronger (but you can still nick them).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Gary
    Participant

Thanks Mark. I’ve never tried Balsa. How many knives would you guess you’ve sharpened with your stones over the past two years?
    I really do want my system to last long enough to have my kids and grandkids fight over it…

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

The stones should last very long. For your kids/grandkids is a stretch.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

for me the 100/200 and 400/600 did not last very long, but i do a fair amount of knives with them. the 400/600 have bare spots all along the middle portion. no diamonds left, kinda the same with 100/200. i found by replacing them, it really helped me speed up my sharpening at the fares/fairs that i work.

i am on my second set of each and now i feel i should replace orininal 800/1000 soon.

Gary
    Participant

for me the 100/200 and 400/600 did not last very long, but i do a fair amount of knives with them. the 400/600 have bare spots all along the middle portion. no diamonds left, kinda the same with 100/200. i found by replacing them, it really helped me speed up my sharpening at the fares/fairs that i work.

i am on my second set of each and now i feel i should replace orininal 800/1000 soon.

How many knives do you do? How many knives do you think it took to wear out the 100/200 and the 400/600?

That is good advice Dan about not using water. What diamond plate do you use to lap your ceramics? Did any of you all go the waterstone route?

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

I’ve done 120-170 knives (different steels and sizes) with this current set. I might try a different stone set up recommended by Josh of the atoma 140/400 plates. I may also try to recharge the stones somehow first

Gary
    Participant

I’d like to read about that alternative stone set up. I’d also like to hear if you figure out how to recharge the stones.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

How many knives do you do? How many knives do you think it took to wear out the 100/200 and the 400/600?

That is good advice Dan about not using water. What diamond plate do you use to lap your ceramics? Did any of you all go the waterstone route?[/quote]..
    hard to tell – probably 20 to 25 per week since may on the average.

i replaced the 100/200 and 400/600 in late june or early july i think.

Gary
    Participant

^^That actually seems like they are wearing pretty quickly.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

^^That actually seems like they are wearing pretty quickly.

I said may……that is incorrect……may is when I started the fairs…………I had been sharpening since I got the WE several months before

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

The question of stone longevity is like asking how long is a piece of string.
    If every knife you have to sharpen involves a complete thinning and re bevel then thats a lot of work if on the other hand the bulk of your sharpening is maintaining an edge it will be very different.
    Cheap knives are often thick and made of quite tough steel where as laminated knives have very hard steel for the cutting blade surrounded on each side with softer steel so they sharpen more easily and the blades are normally much thinner .
    So the question depends on the quality of the knives you sharpen , the size and the condition .
    So if you are sharpening knives you have done before without too much of a gap in between then the stones may well last for a long time.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

while i was working a market today, i noticed my newer 100/200 had some flat spots on them on the 200 side. please see attached pics.

i then went to my older 100/200’s and used the 200 sid on them since the 100 side had the flat smooth areas.

just passing it along for comments and opinions.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

You might consider sending them back to Clay so he can take a look at them?

I wonder if you should get a set of 50/80s? Break ’em in a bit, and get an idea of how they perform, and they should save some wear and tear on your 100/200s. I found that after I used them (quite a bit) when I put a tip on that Kershaw “safety” knife, they work well broken in.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

You might consider sending them back to Clay so he can take a look at them?

I wonder if you should get a set of 50/80s? Break ’em in a bit, and get an idea of how they perform, and they should save some wear and tear on your 100/200s. I found that after I used them (quite a bit) when I put a tip on that Kershaw “safety” knife, they work well broken in.

I may send him the newer set.

Since mid may I have has 50/80’s and at this stage, the 80 sides are smoother than the new side of newer 100/200’s. The 50’s seem to be holding ok mainly since I do not use them as often.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.