Advanced Search

How I set up for the farmers market.

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Shows How I set up for the farmers market.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

I travel with my WEPS, some bundled up demonstration knives (mostly folders), a small spritz bottle of rubbing alcohol and some honing oil packed neatly into a re-purposed Bushnell spotting scope case much like this (not my picture):

I also use folding tables and tend to sit down to sharpen, but the podium or similar idea is a good one!

I recently had to order some budget-minded pocket knives as both merchandise and demonstration pieces, because people keep buying my demo knives! I also make sure to keep either some junk catalogs or scrap paper strips handy to show off sharpness. I think it’s important to have a couple things handy to work on and show off between customers; it seems to draw a lot of attention just sitting there sharpening something 🙂

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I think it’s important to have a couple things handy to work on and show off between customers; it seems to draw a lot of attention just sitting there sharpening something 🙂

I have the same experience at all the shows I’ve worked. When I’m busy sharpening, even if it’s just stropping an already sharp knife, people get curious and wander over. Generally I’m the only person ‘doing’ something at the show so it’s a big draw. If I take a break and stop sharpening, people keep walking and don’t stop to look as much.

-Clay

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

Tom
    What kind of demo knives did you order for sale so they do not buy your demo stock? I was thinking that is a great idea to have some folders to sell and I was curious to the brand you were using to keep the prices down some. I have been doing very well with my reworked thrift store kitchen knives and this would also add revenue at the new places I plan on sharpening at. Such as for the police, sheriff, state police, fire and EMT stations. These are usually knife guys who are not loaded but something that is a good price with good quality should peak their interests.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Great sets of photos… thanks. If anyone wants to see how to clamp a variety of shapes/sizes of knives… this is the place to look. (And a tip repair too!)

Glad you take the time to do this… what a resource. Thanks.[/quote]
    these pics he has posted have helped me more than he will ever know. i just wish i had a smart phone or wifi for my ipad, so i could look while at fare…..been kinda lucky, only two big folders – 1 about 3 weeks back and yesterday that benchmade job. it is hard to remember so many postsitions.

THANK YOU BOB

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

Hey Tuffy, (by the way, what makes you so tough!?:) )

Can you print out the knife data base or save it to your ipad?

I would think you could run into a lot of Bench made knives. A popular brand. Some swear by them, some at them.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Hey Tuffy, (by the way, what makes you so tough!?:) )

I would think you could run into a lot of Bench made knives. A popular brand. Some swear by them, some at them.

been tuff since i was 3 so they claim.

like 90% he henckels and 5% wusthof’s – 5% odds and end knives

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

https://plus.google.com/photos/114895628940643537319/albums/5748813520683380753/5748813522839325394?banner=pwa&pid=5748813522839325394&oid=114895628940643537319

https://plus.google.com/photos/114895628940643537319/albums/5844978581539880721/5844978833057852898?banner=pwa&pid=5844978833057852898&oid=114895628940643537319%5B/quote%5D

Great sets of photos… thanks. If anyone wants to see how to clamp a variety of shapes/sizes of knives… this is the place to look. (And a tip repair too!)

Glad you take the time to do this… what a resource. Thanks.

Looks like a great candidate for a WIKI link… or if Bob wants to a good tutorial…
    Yes??

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

https://plus.google.com/photos/114895628940643537319/albums/5748813520683380753/5748813522839325394?banner=pwa&pid=5748813522839325394&oid=114895628940643537319

https://plus.google.com/photos/114895628940643537319/albums/5844978581539880721/5844978833057852898?banner=pwa&pid=5844978833057852898&oid=114895628940643537319%5B/quote%5D

Great sets of photos…

Wow! I didn’t realize they were sets of photos. Great, Bob! Thanks a lot.

By the way, is there anyone who can tell me how I can link to an individual photograph in a Google+ album? I’ve got a question about one of the photographs.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Looks like a great candidate for a WIKI link… or if Bob wants to a good tutorial…
    Yes??

Sounds good. Let me (or Mark) know if you need any help with that. 😉 (I know you know how to use it.) 🙂
    (Probably a good chance to say anyone who’s a member here can create an appropriate Wiki page or article).

By the way, is there anyone who can tell me how I can link to an individual photograph in a Google+ album? I’ve got a question about one of the photographs.

If you click on the photo, it should open in a new page and give you the link to that photo. (Or you could save it, then upload it in your post if you wanted… giving appropriate credit of course).

Richard Harn
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

Thanks for the great pictures. This is really informative about what I could do. Just started with wicked edge system.

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

Tom
    What kind of demo knives did you order for sale so they do not buy your demo stock? I was thinking that is a great idea to have some folders to sell and I was curious to the brand you were using to keep the prices down some. I have been doing very well with my reworked thrift store kitchen knives and this would also add revenue at the new places I plan on sharpening at. Such as for the police, sheriff, state police, fire and EMT stations. These are usually knife guys who are not loaded but something that is a good price with good quality should peak their interests.

That’s definitely a good option, I don’t have a lot of kitchen knives on hand but seeing as I set up at flea markets/community sales most often I usually comb the other vendors for old butcher knives and things like that 🙂 I even got a nice old cleaver last time for $5!

For new knives which I’ll sell with a sharpen job included on the price tag before they take it home, I try to stick to sub-$25 pocket knives with reputable brands and known steel. For example I have a couple of Kershaws that I could stick a $20 price tag on including sharpening. I also like well made Buck clones (Winchester has a 110 clone that comes with a leather belt sheath for cheap!) and got a Puma Bobcat folder which is VERY nice for the money. It’s also nice to have a handful of knives that generally “run the gamut” feature wise… tanto vs. other points, assisted and non-assisted, different blade lengths, thumb studs vs. flippers. This way folks who are really interested in knives can check them out and you get a chance to chat with them about what factors go into choosing the right pocket knife for them.

I have on rare occasion sold expensive knives such as a titanium frame CRKT for over $60, but mostly people like the budget blades so I go out of my way to find good steel, reputable brands and fit that price point.

Buck, Browning, Winchester, Gerber (make sure you know the steel!), Puma, Ontario, Kershaw are all examples that I have on hand right now or have sold in the past. A lot of knives in this price range will be made in China, but that’s why I emphasize knowing the steel first and foremost.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Very interesting hearing of working farmers’ markets, etc. The thought has crossed my mind.

Having been in business together for a long time, my wife wanted to know if I/we needed liability insurance.

After all we would be handing people back their knives in super sharp condition. If they cut their arm or leg on the way home, is that our fault?

Am I being too cynical, paranoid or overly worried? We’ve run into just the sort of person who would try to make some legal and/or financial deal out of it.

This may not be the right place to ask the whole group but there seems to be some public business expertise here in this thread.

Thanks, in advance, for any light you can shed on this tangent.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

This is a great idea and I have also thought about this as well. I have thought about the thought of people cutting themselves so I took the precaution of using a sleeve on the blade when I return the knives. You can buy them from http://www.knifesleeves.com/pages/ourproducts.html or you can make them as I do. I have had to close my cigar store years ago and I have hundreds of hanging file folders that I cut up and tape closed then put my business information on a 1″ x 2-5/8″ address sticker.

Next I use the small 1/2″ x 1-3/4″ return address labels and print “SHARP” or “CAUTION SHARP” on them and put 2 of them on each side of the sleeve. I used to put a strip of painters tape over the edge too but I had a few people say that they had some sticky residue on the blade when they removed the tape.

Also with this as a service with risk involved to the customer as well as the product. I had thought about what if I screw up or scratch a $200 or $300 knife? The liability insurance would cover that but will the deductible be within a reasonable range to cover that price or is it cheaper to shell out the $200-$300 and buy the new knife?

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Yes??

Hey Phillip – What are you looking for/thinking of – I’d be happy to try to find the time to put something up.

Glad the albums were helpful for folks, that’s why I have them out there. (I really was just trying to share the photos showing the podium set up 😉 )

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.