Advanced Search

Hi from across the pond!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hi from across the pond!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Edward Macnair
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

Hi everyone,

I’m Ed from Hampshire in the UK.

I’m new to the Wicked Edge sharpener , received my kit a few days ago thanks to great service from Peter in Germany.
    Already picked up a tremendous amount of information from this site, thank you all!

Sharpened my first couple of knives yesterday. Great results, am very pleased with the WE. Bit puzzled that one bevel was steeper than the other side so I put an angle measuring device on the paddles and found a 2 degree variance. Anyone have any ideas why?

Help gratefully appreciated.

Bruce Guignard
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 15

It sounds like the knife might have been a little off center in the clamp. You’ll have to eyeball it but can probably check it with the angle cube.

Edward Macnair
    Participant

Thanks Bruce. Checked with Angle and when I set the right hand paddle at 15 deg, as marked on the WE, I need to set the left at 16 deg to get the same angle.

Is there supposed to be any movement in the jaws when clamped ? I can get the jaws to swivel slightly when the knife is clamped.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi Ed and welcome. It sounds like you need to tighten the screw that attaches the Fixed Vise Jaw to the Base. You’ll have to remove the sharpener from the base and locate the screw under the Base Rod and give it a good tightening. Please let me know if that solves it.

Thanks Bruce. Checked with Angle and when I set the right hand paddle at 15 deg, as marked on the WE, I need to set the left at 16 deg to get the same angle.

Is there supposed to be any movement in the jaws when clamped ? I can get the jaws to swivel slightly when the knife is clamped.

-Clay

Edward Macnair
    Participant

Hi Clay, thanks for the hint, I will check that right now.

I still managed to reprofile a woodlore this morning. I’m very impressed with the finish though it did take a while to get the initial profile!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Ed, welcome from this side of the pond as well (but the other side of the Channel – Netherlands). Great to hear you appreciate Peter’s customer service as well. In some stores it stops after the sale. With Peter, in my case, it started about then :). I got a lot of useful tips from him.

Did you really reprofile a Woodlore from Alan Woods? Wow! I would sure be interested in seeing a picture of the results!

I have a Wilkinson Ray Mears knife and it is about the only knife I did not dare to sharpen on the WEPS yet, because I want to be a 100% sure the knife is clamped in exactly right, so that the edge is exactly the same height in every place. I know that is only a cosmetic issue, but on a knife like that with an edge of almost 1 cm (it has a 1 cm Scandi grind), I’d like to get it right.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Edward Macnair
    Participant

Hi Mark,

Yes, I have a few of Alan Woods knives. The woodlore has a slight hollow grind on the Scandi edge and I really wanted to flatten it so it had a true flat grind. Let me just say it took a lot of time with the 100 grit stone to get the hollow grind flat! I think if I was going to do that again I would get a more aggressive stone. My 100 grit is quite smooth now!
    As you say it’s about 1cm and so far I have a smooth polish on it and too be honest it’s not far from a mirror finish. I’m on vacation now but when I get back in a week I’ll posta photo of it.

Cheers

Ed

Mark76
    Participant

Hi Ed,

If you can spare the time to take a photograph, I’d really appreciate it. If you did what I imagine you did, the WEPS (and you 🙂 ) would be amazing.

Mark.

Edward Macnair
    Participant

Hi Mark,

Some things in life are predictable. I got back from vacation and thought that before I take a photo of the knife I would just touch it up. Doh!!! I did of course ruin the finish I put on. So, I’m busy stropping tonight and hope to get a photo up tomorrow.
    Ed

Mark76
    Participant

That’s real bad luck, Ed. Success with stropping!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.