Advanced Search

Help me choose a microscope

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Help me choose a microscope

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Oleg
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

Help me choose a USB microscope to $ 200 To photograph the cutting edge.

John Genovese
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 35

I’d like to know the answer to this one too.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760
    Matt simmerman
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 10

I am a little envious of the question. Lol. I don’t even have a cheap magnifying glass yet 🙂

Can’t help you there but happy hunting.

Peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk – now Free

Oleg
    Participant

Mark76
    at the dino wide range of microscopes. If you choose what kind of dino advise? Little surprised range of prices and models. As I understand it, the base also plays a role in achieving sharpness of the image.
    I want to get better picture quality than this
    This is possible with the dino?
    [img-size400]http://cs319718.vk.me/v319718414/a2e8/pj_aBk7C3Jw.jpg[/img]

Oleg
    Participant

Mark76
    at the dino wide range of microscopes. If you choose what kind of dino advise? Little surprised range of prices and models. As I understand it, the base also plays a role in achieving sharpness of the image.
    I want to get better picture quality than this
    This is possible with the dino?

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

http://www.dinolite.us/products/accessories/dino-lite-stands/ms35b
    http://www.dinolite.us/products/digital-microscopes/usb
    I would suggest the stand then either a DINO scope or VEHO the expense is the stand not the microscope The microscope is next to useless without a proper stand.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

I’m also very interested in this thread. I’m looking to upgrade my blade imaging.

I have a Veho VMS-004. Says it is up to x400. But it just leaves me dreaming of my own scanning electron! 🙂

Actually, I wouldn’t need/want to go that far — on a daily basis. But going farther than my Veho I think about every day. Taking a flight, I brought home the SkyMall magazine because of this:
    http://www.skymall.com/video-screen-microscope/79302.html#q=microscope&start=1

If it does what it says it does, this might satisfy me but I am far too hesitant to buy something through SkyMall. Don’t know exactly why I assume my chances of being disappointed with a SkyMall purchase are sky high? Is this a “gimic” microscope? If not it might hold good promise.

I’ve been looking casually around here for something similar. Casually because I’m not close to buying yet. But, anything I’ve seen that delivered similar specs and the kind of details I want at the size/resolution I want was a lot more money than the SkyMall model.

I’m also looking into trying to live stream my old Sony digital camera to my computer monitor. It has a pretty good macro feature with zoom. It might get me the “live action” images I’m hoping for.

Saw this article too that may hold promise in the not too distant future.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/how-to-build-a-low-cost-afm-nanoscope-out-of-lego-arduino-board?utm_source=KurzweilAI+Weekly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=d36c508293-UA-946742-1&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_147a5a48c1-d36c508293-282126373

Good hunting. Let us/me know how your research is going.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

A USB port (cable included) allows you to download content to your computer; works with Windows 7, Vista (32-bit version only), and XP.
    Only thoughts here is it seems firstly Limited to Windows – 32bit only so it only seems to work with old computers since most now are 64 bit plus no mention of Mac .
    The other limiting factor is I am not sure that one could view any edge viewed from an angle .
    I am certain Clay could give more of an insight into high mag USB microscopes his pictures he has taken with his edge retention experiments are pretty high magnification .
    One final thought to consider is at what point of magnification does an edge become unrecognisable ?
    I will be interested to see what you eventually get and what is considered the useful limit of mag to view an edge.
    The price is very reasonable I have to admit.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I do like the Dino-Lite scopes, very easy to use and good quality optics. The stand is imperative. AmScope makes a lot of different models that are good too, considering the quality and cost though they are a significant step up from the Dino and others in that range. I’m not sure that getting something over 500x and under 6000x is very useful for most of us. The depth of field is so small at higher magnification that it’s tough to get a clear picture of the edge without good software and a pretty stout computer.

-Clay

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Here is another option, depending on how far you want to go – it is one similar to one Clay turned me on to. It works with your phone. This is the apple 4 version. If i grabbed the right link it is 60-100x and uses your phone camera for still or video. Tried the iPhone 5 version on a friend’s phone at G5 and it worked great. Lighting is a little touchy on this model but images were nice and clear. (BTW turns out the iPod touch case puts the camera lens in a slightly different spot from the phone so it won’t fit your iPod 🙁 )

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008IY9R7M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1379734788&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

I just got a universal one too, 45x, haven’t had a chance to test it yet

Via tapatalk

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.