Advanced Search

Hello from Pennsylvania

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello from Pennsylvania

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Cory
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 31

Hi Robert,

One thing that helped me a lot in getting those shaving edges that you are looking for is you tube. Clay has made a lot of videos and as idiot proof as the wicked edge is I still found myself making mistakes. I took the time and watched a dozen of Clays videos and it made a world of difference. I went from good results to shaving on my next knife.

Cory

Robert Garrity
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 6

Thanks Geocyclist I just got my we today and sharpened 2 beater knives and got them reasonably sharp but no where near hair whittleing, which is what I’m after. I was thinking to myself that man my sharpmaker does a better a job than this and this cost me 10 times what that did. Can’t wait for that wow moment!

Geocyclist is exactly right. You’ll be seeing regular improvement with your edge as your stones break in and your technique builds. I hope you’ll continue to post your results.[/quote]

Thanks Clay on my third knife today got to just barely hair whittleing so its progressing. The edge looks so sweet never got one looking so nice before. Will upload a pic.

Robert Garrity
    Participant

We’ll I am still waiting for the paper to just split in half in fear as it moves closer to the edge.

Robert Garrity
    Participant

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Looks great Robert!

-Clay

Jason
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

Amazing…you got this on your 3rd knife? I hope I learn as quickly as you have once I get my WE.

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

Very cool! I didn’t push for a particularly polished edge until after I’d done quite a few knives, but the WEPS definitely gives you the ability to turn out some great edges in no time. The longest thing to really get down for me has been the fore/aft placement in the clamp but I’ve more or less gotten to the point I can eyeball a knife as I clamp it and get pretty close without even touching it with the sharpie!

I actually just got home from sharpening all day at a community flea market/yard sale sort of event and did a whole lot of kitchen cutlery. I passed along some business cards to a fellow representing Pampered Chef who has been looking for someone to handle sharpening jobs locally for a long time. the theme of the day was people not knowing where to take their dull knives for a proper sharpen job, so I think I networked well!

By the way, if you ever get those Pampered Chef knives be careful with those goofy plastic covers they come in. They have two small ceramic sticks as a built in “sharpener” (which everyone I spoke to except the company rep swore up and down doesn’t work whatsoever :whistle: ) which will definitely damage your edge if you put the knife back in the wrong way. They’re supposed to be squeeze-activated, so be wary of that and warn folks not to ruin their nice sharp edge! I had to touch up the first knife I did because of it. :dry:

Robert Garrity
    Participant

yeah I was placing the knife too far forward at first, it also makes it hard to get the heel of the blade. I did the sharpie after the first 2 stones, and was using my 20x loop to see if I was apexing. I used the sand paper trick after the 1000grit stone to get the polish and stropped it about 3 times as long as the first 2 knives I did. Another beater that I keep in my work life vest as an emergency blade I thined out the tanto tip so that was another good learning experience, I will probably try to keep my higher end tantos a little fatter at the tip, but at least it cuts better now, I will not be stabbing with this knife!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.