Advanced Search

Hello From Kentucky

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello From Kentucky

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bill Wood
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 30

Just a Short Bio. My name is Bill, from Kentucky, retired Chief of Police and Have been in the Pawn Shop and Jewelry repair business for over 25 years. I was just at the Shot Show in Vegas and saw the WE in action and new I just had to have one. It’s on order and just waiting for it to arrive.

Now onto my first, of what will probably be many a question. I believe I have read the entire forum section and have learned a lot and will need to learn much more once I start sharpening knives. The question I have is, I have read where it is benificial to keep a log for resharpening knives and it seems that a paper log is what is regularly used. Is there an electronic log out there somewhere to use?

Thanks for any help and sorry but you (will) be hearing from me again.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hi Bill… welcome to the forum.

There’s a couple of options for recording your sharpening.

You can use the Knife Database to record them. Just know that if you make an entry here, it may take a couple days to appear… they have to be approved by Clay. (Not really approved… but he has to allow them, if that makes sense).

There’s also an Excel “Knife Sharpening Log” on the Download page, that you can download and use, either on your computer, or host “in the cloud”.

Hope that helps! 🙂

Bill Wood
    Participant

Thanks, Curtis.

I checked it out and it is do-able, however, not quite what I would like. I’d like to have one that you can recall the entry by Name, Date, Knife type, etc. I guess it maybe more of a database type of program.
    Alas, I still have time to find something but thanks for the help.

R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 55

Hi Curtis.

The excel spreadsheet lets you adjust by type of knife, manufacturer, angle …etc. It is a database and the form is on the site for free download.

I am like you. I am still deciding how to do mine I have started on the database (I downloaded it so its on my computer. But I am old school, I like the idea of a binder – a page for each knife. But you lose all the flexibility of how to arrange it.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum!

I also use my own Excel spreadsheet. (You can search and sort in Excel, it is kind of a database.) I had slightly different requirements, too. Only I now have to type in everything twice (in the online knife database as well), which I still haven’t done completely.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Hey and welcome to the forum.

Others have given many ideas on how to record your settings. One thing to note is please use the knife database whether you use it for your own personal tracking or not. The main purpose of the knife database is to share information for others. If you use it to track your own data this is a side benefit as well. I look in the database often to see if someone has sharpened I knife I have. Things I am often looking for is what position did they use, and what angle.

This is the beauty of the WE and the knife database. When you see a Benchmade 940 listed at setting B.5, top position, 15 degree you know exactly how someone else did it and can set yours up the exact same way if you choose.

Bill Wood
    Participant

I want to thank everyone for the help and information. Looks like this is going to be the start of something beautiful. 🙂 lol

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Welcome aboard, Bill!

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Replies: 164

Just a Short Bio. My name is Bill, from Kentucky, retired Chief of Police and Have been in the Pawn Shop and Jewelry repair business for over 25 years. I was just at the Shot Show in Vegas and saw the WE in action and new I just had to have one. It’s on order and just waiting for it to arrive.

Now onto my first, of what will probably be many a question. I believe I have read the entire forum section and have learned a lot and will need to learn much more once I start sharpening knives. The question I have is, I have read where it is benificial to keep a log for resharpening knives and it seems that a paper log is what is regularly used. Is there an electronic log out there somewhere to use?

Thanks for any help and sorry but you (will) be hearing from me again.

Hi Bill – welcome to the forum. Great to have you here :woohoo: And don’t apologize for asking questions – we all learn from them and love sharing information and experiences! Have a great weekend

Bill Wood
    Participant

Thanks Bob.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.