Advanced Search

Happy Canada Day!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Happy Canada Day!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

To all the Canadians on the forum, have a happy and safe 145th anniversary of our great country Canada! I am so proud to be a Canadian and proud too that the people of America are our closest and best friends.We have a beautiful, bountiful country and most excellent neighbours…what else could you ask for?!

Best to all
    Leo the Canuck

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Happy day to all you Canucks! One thing you might ask for is more knives! You can always want more of those :silly:

To all the Canadians on the forum, have a happy and safe 145th anniversary of our great country Canada! I am so proud to be a Canadian and proud too that the people of America are our closest and best friends.We have a beautiful, bountiful country and most excellent neighbours…what else could you ask for?!

Best to all
    Leo the Canuck

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

The Canadian army played a major role in the liberations of the Netherlands, the country where I live, in World War II. Almost a year before the Germans surrendered, a combined army of British, Canadians and Polish soldiers liberated the city of Antwerpen. In the Battle of the Scheldt, the Canadian 1st army then started the liberation of the Netherlands.

Some Canadians stayed here after the war. The son of one of the soldiers who stayed here became an English teacher (his native language was Dutch!) at a secondary school. He was the first one to teach me English.

And last year I visited Canada twice, for work. It was so easy, you get on a plane and 8 hours later you’re in Toronto. It is a beautiful place with very friendly people.

But if there had been no Canadian soldier here, 67 years ago, it would have been a hell of a lot more difficult for me to get there.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Mark
    When I was in junior school while the war was on, your Queen Wilhelmina lived in our capital Ottawa for most of the war and I believe one of her daughters was born there. I was in Grade three when the Canadian army was helping to liberate Holland and our school had a drive to collect money, food parcels and clothing for the Dutch people. I remember working very hard at my father’s restaurant to save a dollar to give the funding. A dollar then was quite a lot back then, so it took me awhile. We were happy and proud to help out our Dutch friends!

Cheers
    Leo

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow, Leo, thanks! I had almost forgotten that (excuse: I was minus 30 years old back then).

I’m very, very happy with and proud of the Canadians now and then who liberated our country and are our friends. Happy Canada day!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.