Advanced Search

going legit

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business going legit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gubbins
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

I have been sharpening for word of mouth customers for a couple years now. I have been getting a couple a week. Now I’m going to do this legal like.
    First step is coming up with a name.
    How did you guys come up with a name? Something like sharpening by bob, or knifemasters?
    What should I consider before going down to the county clerk and registering my new name?

Second item on my to do list is

A graphic for my business cards.
    I’m a part time photographer I could just set a knife out and take a photo of it, but there has to be a better/smarter way.

thanks in advance for the help
    Bob

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum! And congrats with going legit!

I’m sure is quite some creativity here to help you. The Wicked Edge logo added to your business card will surely help 😉

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

I have been sharpening for word of mouth customers for a couple years now. I have been getting a couple a week. Now I’m going to do this legal like.
    First step is coming up with a name.
    How did you guys come up with a name? Something like sharpening by bob, or knifemasters?
    What should I consider before going down to the county clerk and registering my new name?

Second item on my to do list is

A graphic for my business cards.
    I’m a part time photographer I could just set a knife out and take a photo of it, but there has to be a better/smarter way.

thanks in advance for the help
    Bob

for your review only – fyi.
    welcome aboard also.
    http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=33&id=12474&Itemid=271

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Bob, welcome to the forum! I would say to just try and pick a name that is not used locally, one that you can use with an LLC (e.g. mine is Razor Edge Knives, LLC). You should be able to check with your state on what is used and what’s not. If you want suggestions, maybe we can help ya out =).

On the business card/logo note, I could get my brother-in-law to maybe hook you up for a good price? He designed mine… Here is a business card that he developed (along w/ my logo) for me…

Front:

Back:

Oh, I would also like to put a plug in for printbusinesscards.com… they are legit man. I had a horrible experience w/ vistaprint when trying to upload my own image for a business card. Vista Print won’t send you a hard proof before you order a thousand… printbusinesscards.com will sendh you a hard copy proof in the mail for your approval before you order a bunch if you wish. They are also very prompt in customer service and I will be using them again. The only thing I found w/ my cards is that, after a while in the wallet the color rubs off some, so you may want to inquire as to which ones are most durable. I got the high gloss ones and they look great!

Anyway, let me know and I’ll put you in touch w/ my bro in law.

Josh
    Participant

Consider:

1. what area you are in, and what would sound classy…
    2. What you want to portray with your name
    3. Your motto?
    4. This one is important: if you ever want to have your business branch out into something else… for example. My business is going to be transforming into a 3 part service 1. blade sharpening 2. firearm/knife finishing (with Cerakote in custom patterns) 3. Mobile sandblasting service (since I will already be all set up for Cerakoting, I might as well). So now I have to figure out if I am keeping the same name, making a new one for the different aspects of my business, or doing them as a sub name under my main name? I am not sure at this point. But if you think you will be selling knives at some point, you may want to incorporate “knife works” into your name (I.e. Razor Edge Knife Works).
    5. After you come up w/ a name you can then design your logo
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

One good suggestion someone made to me is magnetic business cards since they go on the fridge which means they are there as a quick reference for the user either for themselves or to pass your name on particularly in a restaurant .
    People seem to collect fridge magnets so they hardly ever throw them away.

Leo Barr
    Participant

If you have Photoshop you should be able to do your own designs I always do my own since it may take many drafts with a graphic artist until you get what you want I also include a scannable panel to include details so people with smart phones can scan them .

Mark76
    Participant

Leo, my barcode scanner doesn’t recognize you barcode.

Mark76
    Participant

Very classy business card, Josh! Beautiful!

Leo Barr
    Participant

It is not a bar code it is a QR type http://scan.me/qr-code-generator its a free browser based app -you compile it then scan with either an iPhone or other smart phone http://scan.me/apps/scan/download

Bob Gubbins
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

Josh, did you do a LLC?
    If you did why did you go with the limited liability corp?
    second part of the question if you did go the llc route did you get insurance? If you did I’m thinking you went with about 1,000,000,000 umbrella policy if you don’t mind what did that set you back a year?
    I have come up with a couple of names nothing really concrete yet, I’m going out of town for about a week, going to be doing what max does treasure hunting but lots of free time to ponder my name choices. Will have 2 picked by the time I get back and down to the court house to register it.
    Then on to the business cards.
    thanks for all the help so far guys.
    Bob

Josh
    Participant

Josh, did you do a LLC?
    If you did why did you go with the limited liability corp?
    second part of the question if you did go the llc route did you get insurance? If you did I’m thinking you went with about 1,000,000,000 umbrella policy if you don’t mind what did that set you back a year?
    I have come up with a couple of names nothing really concrete yet, I’m going out of town for about a week, going to be doing what max does treasure hunting but lots of free time to ponder my name choices. Will have 2 picked by the time I get back and down to the court house to register it.
    Then on to the business cards.
    thanks for all the help so far guys.
    Bob

I went with an LLC because I couldn’t afford insurance and it still offered me some civil liability coverage (if I get sued then it’s just my business and not my personal stuff I’ll lose).

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

A few cents on a name.
    In todays internet search world, you may want to consider what a client would think as far as sharpening word wise.
    Ideally “xyz knife sharpening” would be great, as you know if clients are gonna search for knife sharpening, certain words are bound to be used.

I included sharpening in the name, then rely on knife, service, scissor, edge, sharp etc in the language.
    Typical Organic SEO.

Cards, I like it short and sweet, and finally got around to making a logo that will eventually be consistent on every scrap of info.

Josh
    Participant

A few cents on a name.
    In todays internet search world, you may want to consider what a client would think as far as sharpening word wise.
    Ideally “xyz knife sharpening” would be great, as you know if clients are gonna search for knife sharpening, certain words are bound to be used.

I included sharpening in the name, then rely on knife, service, scissor, edge, sharp etc in the language.
    Typical Organic SEO.

Cards, I like it short and sweet, and finally got around to making a logo that will eventually be consistent on every scrap of info.

Card/logo looks great ziggy! Did you mean to put “send us a mail” instead of “send us an email”? Just curious 🙂 but I think it looks great… You are absolutely correct about having your keywords settup on your website… It will greatly help.

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Card/logo looks great ziggy! Did you mean to put “send us a mail” instead of “send us an email”? Just curious 🙂 but I think it looks great… You are absolutely correct about having your keywords settup on your website… It will greatly help.

Thanks Josh!

I’m being a bit cheeky with it, I hope if they read it it makes them think.
    Kinda like miSpeling and typoeing a word.
    Plus I wanted it to be different than just email.

Words I wanted to use as bullets, once they see sharpening service twice, and the logo, the rest are bullet points.
    Wanted them to know more than just knives so threw in Cutlery, plus scissors, shears.

If I can get them to the site, then will drill them down to other things, maybe even sell things.
    I need to update the site to match the look of the card.

Next headache, figuring out how to remake the site in html5 .. responsive for those damn phones and tablets :sick:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.