Advanced Search

Gen III Q & A from March passaround

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Gen III Q & A from March passaround

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I wanted to start this thread up to consolidate questions and answers in the OP. I will update this with the questions and answers, and hopefully those that currently will post up their feedback on the system in this thread as well. I am on the list so when I give it I will try to answer as many as I can from my perspective.

for example

Clay,
    Some questions, Will the upgrade jaws when attached to existing WE system still fit in the WE case?
    Will the version without the storage stand also fit in the WE case?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Something to note for everyone who gets the unit to test – it’s just a prototype and we know in advance that the jaws are not calibrated to your current degree bar, so your angles will be off by as much as 4 degrees. The production models will ship with a new, calibrated degree bar, adjusted to the new geometry.

There is also a new feature built into the latest version that isn’t on the pass around: there is a tiny amount of play in the jaws down the length of the blade such they clamp knives with distal tapers better. The play is really too small to detect even when you’re looking for it, but it is effective.

-Clay

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

Clay
    Can you post the pass around list so we know when each of us on the list can expect it?

Josh
    Participant

Clay
    Can you post the pass around list so we know when each of us on the list can expect it?

that’s a great idea. i’ve had several ppl asking me about it and I just tell them I’m on the list but not sure when i am getting it lol

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay

I’ll get Kyle to post it as soon as he can.

-Clay

JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

How wide of a knife will the jaws accept?

wickededge
    Keymaster

How wide of a knife will the jaws accept?

3/16″

-Clay

Kyle Kaplan
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 27

Hey Guys,
    Here’s the list in order:

1. Brian (HI)
    2. Cliff (HI)
    3. Gib (WA)
    4. Eric (CO)
    5. Josh (SC)
    6. Dan (VA)
    7. Lance (VA)
    8. David (MD)
    9. Wicked Edge (NM)

Josh
    Participant

Hey Guys,
    Here’s the list in order:

1. Brian (HI)
    2. Cliff (HI)
    3. Gib (WA)
    4. Eric (CO)
    5. Josh (SC)
    6. Dan (VA)
    7. Lance (VA)
    8. David (MD)
    9. Wicked Edge (NM)

How long is each supposed to have it for approximately? 1-2 days?

wickededge
    Keymaster

I think that sounds about right. You’ll need enough time to use it, think about it, use it some more etc… before passing it along.

-Clay

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Man this is going to be great! It will FORCE me to MAKE time to sit and sharpen for a couple days! Life is getting in the way of my play!

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

I think that sounds about right. You’ll need enough time to use it, think about it, use it some more etc… before passing it along.[/quote]

Clay,

I mentioned elsewhere that I might need to pull my name from the list because of travel. Nope, I’ll be here and am really looking forward to having a go with the Gen III.

I’m gathering several different knives to run through it: a santoku, an FFG chef, a tanto Kershaw folder and my EDC Damascus Leek. Those for sure.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.