Advanced Search

Forum How To: Quoting a post

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Forum How To: Quoting a post

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

This topic comes up, so thought I’d post some instructions on how to quote a post.

The easiest way, is to just hit the “QUOTE” button. For example, if I want to quote this post…

…simply hit the “QUOTE” button…

… this starts a reply with the quote already inserted (and shows who the quote is from).

If want to quote a portion of something, or insert a quote in a reply, copy what you want into your clipboard. Then you can either hit the quote button (located above the text box)…

which inserts the code (or you can just type the code)…

you then type between, or paste your comment in between (this won’t show who a quote is from, just that it’s a quote)…

The most common mistake is not having the code before and after the quote, or deleting one of the ‘[‘ or ‘]’ (brackets) at either end.

Hope this helps… feel free to ask questions or add to these instructions if it needs clarifying.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Curtis,
    What about when you just want a portion of the text and you want to show who it is from?
    Thank you,
    Eamon

cbwx34
    Participant

I just hit the quote button (in the first example), then delete out the parts I don’t want.

Again, make sure you don’t delete the code or bracket at the beginning or end.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I just hit the quote button (in the first example), then delete out the parts I don’t want.

That’s what I do as well.

Another tip, say you want multiple quotes from multiple posts…

Quote, edit and reply to the first one, but instead of posting it, I cut it, placing it in my paste buffer. Then go to the next post you want to quote. Quote it and immediately paste in your buffer. Then edit the second one like the first. Do this for as many as you need to.

(failing to paste your initial work in first ALWAYS results in your cutting something in the second post, overwriting your paste buffer ;))

Ken

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Curtis and Ken thank you so much! I was close in what I tried? Just thought you guys new some secret I didn’t?

cbwx34
    Participant

One more tip on quoting a post. There’s a “Preview” button where you can see how your post is coming out…

(either on the side or bottom of your post.)

If you quote correctly, you’ll see the quote properly displayed…

…however, if you format it incorrectly, (usually by deleting a bracket), you’ll see the “codes” are in the preview…

… so you can check and fix the problem, before you post! 🙂

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Curtis, thanks for looking out for me!

cbwx34
    Participant

Thought i’d bump this up… some of you need it hahahaha.

(Only difference in all this is now the PREVIEW button is at the bottom.)

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Thought i’d bump this up… some of you need it hahahaha.

new question I’ve not seen asked or covered before ? How do you “bump” something up ?

cbwx34
    Participant

new question I’ve not seen asked or covered before ? How do you “bump” something up ?

“Bumping” a post means you add a post to a thread, mainly just to bring it back to the top (since most forums are sorted by most recent posts)…. you bump it back to the top. 🙂

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I’d quote this…but I’ll bump it instead.
    Learned a few things on this one…I like it.
    Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.