Advanced Search

Folder made in the USA

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Folder made in the USA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hard on the heels of my French knives that have so captured me, I have also seen high quality American pocket knives that have turned my head…the Northfield UN-X-LD Weaver Jack pocket knife is one of thrm. It came in this little case and the knife was wrapped in heavy waxed paper like the kind they use to wrap military weapons. The smell reminded me of those days long ago when I instructed the use and maintenance of the Bren LMG and Sten SMG in the army reserves.

To carry on, this little knife is a delight with its jigged bone scales, silver-nickel bolster and 3 excellent blades of 1095, frozen-forged steel. Very nice stuff.

Incindently, all three blades were very sharp out of the box. After a quick strop with Green Compound on leather, they had even more zip with little expenditure of effort. The springs are very strong and happily have been set up with a half stop. I had forgotten that jack-knives can be dangerous to digits when it comes to closing the blades. I had bought this with my grandson in mind, but he will have to wait until he is stronger and more co-ordinated. The main blade is a modified sheep’s foot shape and the second biggest is a sabre shaped blade with a swedge. Finally, the third blade is the usual pen knife blade, ideal for small tasks. All blades open with a nail-nick.
    This is a knife from a series of 25 and is serial numbered 08. A certificate of authenticity comes with the knife detailing its pedigree and the serial number.
    The fit and finish is superb and the materials used are of the highest quality. It may not be as elegant as the French knives, but it sure will be a useful knife for anyone to carry in his pocket…also it is not a knife that will freak people out. The Sheep’s Foot blade is barely 3 inches and the others shorter still.
    All in all it is a very high quality knife that proudly takes its place in my collection of fine folders. :cheer:

Soon my fixed blade collection. :huh:

Best to all

Leo

Ronnie Osteen
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

Leo, this is the first time i’ve posted on this forum… you are amazing. thanks for all the info and photos. We are all fortunate to have you here.

ronnie

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Thank you very much Ronnie! Your kind words are much appreciated. If what I do pleases and helps people here then I am doing my job.
    Keep on posting brother! Don’t be shy. Why don’t you put up a bit of a bio on the Welcome page. Give it a shot.

Very best regards
    Leo

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

Leo,
    Thanks for posting that. Titusville, where Great Eastern is located, is only about a half hour or so south of me. Many a knife was produced there back in the day (Schatt and Morgan, Queen City Cutlery, Coleman Cutlery knives). The tradition continues in Titusville with Queen Cutlery/Clarence Risner Cutlery and Great Eastern.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Hi Dennis
    My pleasure mate. I know that many fine knives came from that area and now Great Eastern carries on with knives of the first magnitude. It is my intention to pick up a couple more.
    Interesting to me to see how American folders/pocket knives differ from French knives or European knives in general. American knives in general are task oriented, more robust and built for heavy duty, whereas it the latter seem to be designed more with elegance in mind and aimed in particular at the kitchen/dining-table and at picnickers. Cooking and eating are areas where they are very often seen. One rarely would see a Jack knife out at the dinner table I think…more likely in the workshop or garage.
    Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed the post Dennis.

Best regards
    Leo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.