Advanced Search

Finally…I have my Field & Sport system

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Finally…I have my Field & Sport system

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Reimer
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 28

After more than two weeks and a bit of a comedy of errors, My Field & Sport was finally delivered this afternoon.

Although I’ve had little chance to do much beyond unpacking it, I was able in the short amount of time I had available get the system mounted, and clamp one of my Striders (an SnG spearpoint) aboard.

I’ve been a freehand sharpener for in excess of fifty years, and have carried at least one knife almost every day for the same length of time. I have quite a few knives, all users and all quite sharp. This particular Strider is one that I’ve wanted to try a bit shallower angle on for awhile, so this afternoon was a perfect opportunity.

Over the years, I’ve tried almost every “system” that’s hit the market at one time or another. All had one thing in common; they didn’t get my knives as sharp as I could get them with a stone and patience, so I left them behind to collect dust.

I know how long it would take to change the bevel on a Strider by hand; I was anxious to know how long it would take on the WE. The results surprised me, I have to say.

it turned out to take less time…much less. Perhaps 25%. I was left with a nice, even bevel, that I’ve begun to polish out. I expect that I’ll spend some time today working on the edge, shooting for a bit of a polished finish. It’s already very sharp…we’ll see where it’s at tongiht

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Congratulations!

The beauty of a controlled system vs. freehand, is that each stroke is more effective… doing precisely what you want it to do. So, as you have discovered, it can be more efficient.

Snap a pic when you’re done if you can! Also, don’t forget to add your results to the knife database. Sounds like that with your experience with knives and sharpening, your results will be beneficial.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Wayne, welcome! Thank you so much for your patience, I’m glad we finally got you sorted out. One thing to remember is that your stones are brand new and take some time to break in. The more you use them, the better your edges will get.

–Clay

-Clay

Wayne Reimer
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 28

I’ve been busy sharpening since my system arrived…about 30 of my knives so far. The stones have broken in nicely and the edges I’m getting are getting better and better.

One thing I’ve noticed with the step design of this vice is the disconcerting tendency with flat ground knives ( i.e. Spydercos, some kitchen knives) is that the jaws don’t full close on the knife while tightening them.

I’ve managed to keep things vertical so far, but I’m considering doing a mod on the Drill press and adding two depth stop holes at the bottom edge of the flat inside the vice to allow for the installation of two floating pins to serve as a blade stop.

Are there any easier solutions I’m overlooking?

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Yup,if I understand you correctly, I use little bunched-up folds of chamois to fill the voids, others use double-sided tape…both simple but effective for FF ground knives.

Cheers
    Leo

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

This probably will sound more complicated than it is, but I’ve found on some blades, I’ll set it where I want it, then pinch the clamp closed with my right hand (which holds the blade in place and seems to line everything up better), and while holding it like this, tighten the top, then bottom screw.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Whatever works!!!;)

Leo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.