Advanced Search

Finally an edge I can be proud of

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Finally an edge I can be proud of

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Robert Olmstead
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 6

Greetings everyone. My name is Robert. I am in my late fourtys, and I am married with 7 children. I am never without a knife in my pocket, but until now I’ve been unable to keep them sharp.

I am sharpening challenged. I have owned Lansky, Spryderco, Edge Pro, Sharpmaker, and I just couldn’t get it done. I started reading about the WEPS several months ago but was pretty gun-shy about dropping that much money on a sharpener. Two weeks ago I finally decided I couldn’t live without one for another day and ordered the Pro-Pack I. I tried to read as much possible as well as watching a multitude of videos so that I had an idea what I was doing when I touched it for the first time.

By the second knife I was getting nice results, and by the 5th I was getting edges I’ve never been able to get before. I am a firefighter and my crew has seen me go through all of the different systems so when I brought in the WEPS they just rolled their eyes. I asked one of my guys to take a look at my Sogzilla that I had sharpened the day before. He picked it up and shaved his face with it, and then all of a sudden they were all believers. Next thing you know there as a stack of knives next to me for sharpening 🙂

This forum is incredible, and I appreciate all of the knowledge shared here by so many. I look forward to continuing to learn. My goal is to one day get a knife hair popping sharp. For the first time ever I have confidence that day will come.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Welcome,

Robert, your sharpening progression is similar to mine, I also have the Edge Pro Pro, WEPS PPII, Lansky, Crock Sticks. I however feel more comfortable on the EP Pro, but I always go back and keep trying the WEPS (also keep buying things for it!)I like both systems. Good luck on your future sharpening.

Dave

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Welcome Robert!! I am very glad you found this forum as it is a HUGE help to many and a GREAT bunch of people!

7 kids… that’s awesome man, rare to see these days, but I have 5 and we would like more Lord willing! If I were you, I would turn it into a little side business for extra cash for “upgrades” to your system 😉 keep us posted w/ more questions! I’m sure we can work through any issues together…

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum! Glad you like your WEPS. And if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Hair popping sharp… I didn’t know it was possible at all before I got a WEPS. But then, all of a sudden, I found myself between waterstones and all sorts of stropping compounds with Youtube videos of guys shaving themselves with a cleaver 🙂 . It’s fun!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Welcome to the forum. Enjoyed your story and glad your are getting good results. If you got good results by knife #5 you will do very well with the WE.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Welcome to the forum! Your going to do just fine if knife five is looking good. I echo Josh and say get just a little bit better then charge all the “guys” for the knives. Then there can be more mods for you :woohoo: Remember just keep asking questions. We have all asked them at one time or anther? You’ll go from one level to the next. Also remember to just have fun!!! :cheer:

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Welcome aboard Robert.
    Lots of good guys all around here.
    You’ll learn lots here.
    Deeper even than you can imagine.

Some fellas here are in the PHD range of sharpening, amazing, helpful and thoughtful.

Robert Olmstead
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 6

Thanks everyone. I may have misled you. The fact that I got great results by knife number 5 is more about me not being very good at sharpening than it is about what great edges I have been getting. 🙂 A couple of experiences yesterday humbled me somewhat and let me know that I have so much more left to learn. That is OK with me. More questions will be forthcoming.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Thanks everyone. ……. A couple of experiences yesterday humbled me somewhat and let me know that I have so much more left to learn. That is OK with me.

This pretty much sums up my day yesterday!!

I was well advised to get used to it! 😉

Part of the allure, I suspect. There’s something just a bit alchemical in how our knives get sharper as we hone our understanding ….. and technique …. and sense of humor.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.