Advanced Search

Factory edges on new Kershaw Chive Damascus.

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Kershaw / Zero Tolerance Factory edges on new Kershaw Chive Damascus.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Gabriel
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

I just received a new Kershaw Chive Damascus, and a standard Kershaw Leek yesterday.
    I had a close look at the factory edges of them both.
    They are kind of sharp-ish, very toothy, and very rough.
    It looks like the sharpening is done with a very fast 3 step process.
    I looks like they rip off a bevel on one side, then rip off a bevel on the other side, then take off the burr on the first side with a finer grit abrasive and then they’re done. They obviously use some kind of machinery, but I’m not sure what exactly.
    I tried to take some photos through the eyepiece of the microscope with my phone, didn’t come out that clear, so excuse the poor quality of the images:

After I get my Wicked Edge Pro kit tomorrow, I hope to improve on this somewhat…

Samuel Gabriel
    Participant

Oh, and this is it zoomed out a little…

Really neat little knife. Deployment is really fast. It’s smaller than I expected though. The Leek is a bit more the size I prefer to carry as EDC. I wouldn’t have minded getting the Leek with G10 scales and S30V blade though. Oh well, maybe next time…

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Great post, and I think you got it exactly right on how they sharpen. I believe the burr is removed with a buffing wheel of some sort, often at a much higher angle, and that little bevel can be a bit of a pain when you resharpen it. Your pics show it perfectly. (In fact, I think I’ll move this to a different section, your pics are very educational.)

Thanks!

Samuel Gabriel
    Participant

Thanks for that Curtis, I didn’t realise that there’s a dedicated Kershaw sub-forum. Yes, that small “burr removal” bevel is a pain, and it throws the cutting of the knife off balance too. I can feel it pulling to the side a little when I cut fruit. I get my WE kit today so after a bit of practise I’ll clean those edges up and straighten them up too.

I’m getting a new Spyderco Manix 2 next week, so ill try to get some images of Spyderco’s factory edge too.
    It seems odd that there is a sub-forum for Kershaw, Benchmade, etc; but not one for Spyderco?

cbwx34
    Participant

It seems odd that there is a sub-forum for Kershaw, Benchmade, etc; but not one for Spyderco?

Good question. :huh:

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Good question. :huh:[/quote]

Try this: Spyderco Sub-Forum

-Clay

Samuel Gabriel
    Participant

Good question. :huh:[/quote]

Try this: Spyderco Sub-Forum[/quote]

Oh wow, cool thanks. Now I better post something there huh!

cbwx34
    Participant

Try this: Spyderco Sub-Forum

I want THAT superpower! 😆

Samuel Gabriel
    Participant

I did a little bit of a tidy up on one of the new Kershaws, but I didn’t have time to do a really nice job yet. But what an improvement even so!

cbwx34
    Participant

Lookin good… thanks!

Chris Feher
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Hey Samuel, I have this same Kershaw knife, only not in Damascus…………but I do love the look of that
    Damascus steel, beautiful patterns.

I actually quit carrying this little knife because with the slide lock ” off “……it kept springing open in my pocket, and managed to cut my leg once and finger another time. I don’t like to carry with the blade locked because you cannot instantly deploy it if needed.

I just bought one of the Kershaw Echelon’s and it seems like a much better choice……..with the exception of the crappy pocket clip on it…..that needs to be much bigger and wider.

Thanks for posting pics of the Damascus blade…….cool.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.