Advanced Search

Ello Thar!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Ello Thar!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Randy Calkins
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

New to these parts but already seeing a lot of friendly faces so I know I’m in the right place. Soon to be a proud WEP II owner as I expect mr. postman to be delivering the package in the next day or so. Never owned a real system before so I’m pretty excited! Have always used stones freehand and boy can I put a dull edge on just about any knife you care to name. Will be poking my head in from time to time to let yall know how it’s going and probably for advice.

John Genovese
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 35

Welcome from PA. I’m sure you will love your WEP!!!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I know just what you mean! I was like you and created many a dull edge free hand to the laughter of my son Paul. After I got the WEPS, he laughs no more. You are in for a great time when your rig arrives soon. Clay makes a fine sharpening tool believe me. We look forward to hearing about your experiences mate. Welcome friend.
    Very best regards
    Leo

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Welcome! 🙂 Your Just not going to believe it! :woohoo: Scary sharp is not even good enough to describe the edges your going to get. 😛 There is a small learning curve so ask questions. :unsure: Remember the stones have to break in so you should not use knives your in love with for the first few. Remember to have fun! B)
    Eamon

Benoît Membré
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 22

“Bienvenue” from a French enthusiast WE user!

Randy Calkins
    Participant

“Bienvenue” from a French enthusiast WE user!

Merci!

Thank you all for the warm welcome and can’t wait to get started using all my knives again for their intended purpose instead of spreading butter. Thx for the tip Eamon! 🙂 Definitely have a few practice knives to break them in with and get used to the system.

Keep check tracking number and can’t wait to get my hands on my first WE product! :woohoo:

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

And “welkom”, too :-). You’re in for some real surprises! Eamon’s tip is very good. And you may also want to read the beginner’s guide on the Wiki.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

🙂 welcome from Georgia………have had my PPII now for a few months and loving it ! You will most likely want to add some accessory stones to your kit as I did, especially if your looking to produce the ” show quality mirror edges ) that you see on here.

So far, I’ve added the set of ultra course 50/80 diamonds, the Super Fine 1200/1600 ceramics, and the 5/3.5 diamond & balsa wood strops, and I am getting some pretty nice edges with that.

Read all the posts you can as I learned a ton from these guys before I ever got my WEPS in, and YouTube is another great resource as well for sharpening videos and guidance.

Good luck and be sure to post pics of your knives / edges B)

Randy Calkins
    Participant

Took your advice Darrell and been on Wickedpedia and youtube for instruction and ready to put an edge on a knife that has been buried in my sock drawer for years. Used to be my favorite fishing knife until it lost it’s edge and wouldn’t cut the lightest monofilament in my tackle. Will update to let ya know how it went.

Want some balsa strops but heard about kangaroo strops being pretty good. Any advice on those and does WE sell them?

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

WEPS does sell both. It kind of depends on what finish your looking for? I have both and really like both but I use them two different ways? :side: I love the roo for a nice clean slicer! Really cleans up teeth from the stones. Balsa I have with 14/10 and 5/3.5 paste. When I do a knife for veggies I like a toother grind so I strop with the balsa 14/10. Comes out great! :cheer: When I want a hair to “pop” I go balsa 14/10/5 and it is just clean cut fun!! :woohoo:
    Try some of your own ideas and post them. This whole WE package is about having fun. B) Let us know?
    Eamon

Randy Calkins
    Participant

welcome from Georgia………have had my PPII now for a few months and loving it ! You will most likely want to add some accessory stones to your kit as I did, especially if your looking to produce the ” show quality mirror edges ) that you see on here.

So far, I’ve added the set of ultra course 50/80 diamonds, the Super Fine 1200/1600 ceramics, and the 5/3.5 diamond & balsa wood strops, and I am getting some pretty nice edges with that.

Already run into an instance when I wish I had ordered the additional stones you listed. Especially the 50 and 80 grit as a few of the knives I want to sharpen will need some serious re-edging. Those will definitely be the first ones I order followed by the others down the road.

Put an edge on our chef knife and after using it my wife agreed it was well worth the money as it’s saving the whole block of knives we have! :cheer:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.