Advanced Search

Early analytics from the knowledge base

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Early analytics from the knowledge base

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

So the knowledge base (howto.wickededgeusa.com) went live on June 28, 2017. I thought it’d be interesting to share some analytics, to see if the visitor behavior so far matches your expectations. See anything surprising below?…

Here are some of my quick thoughts:

• We need to improve / consolidate the Videos pages. Currently it’s a bit of a mishmash of old and newer videos.
    • We need to improve the Knife Database. It’s popular, but the current version is very basic. It’d be nice for users to be able to add more detail and pictures. Also, we should try to come up with a “Top 20” list of common knives (if this is even possible) and make sure there’s recommended settings for them.
    • We need to develop sharpener-specific web pages, like we’ve done for the we100 initial setup. We just took the PDF manual for this sharpener and turned it into a web page. Based on the lengthy duration on this page, it’s an indication we need this for each sharpener.

The charts are hard to read the text; click the image to expand it to full size.

Most popular pages

Average time on site, for most popular pages

Searches

“Unhelpful” vote and feedback (which is helpful!)

For the data nerds, here’s the whole enchilada

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Thanks for the data. I’m not shocked that the most popular page by number of views and time spent (aside from the home page) was the videos page. Before I invested in a Wicked Edge sharpener, I spent hours and hours watching reviews, sharpening videos, and product walk through videos of the Wicked Edge products as well as those from competitors (KME, Edge Pro, Tormek). The content of those videos as a whole is what eventually sold me on the Wicked Edge brand and gave me the confidence to invest my money with little hesitation once I was financially enabled. I had seen the ease of the sharpening process and the unbelievable results that nearly every user was able to achieve. I knew I had to have one.

As to the number of knives per diamond stone; I think Josh says he gets about 400 sharpening sessions before needing to replace the abrasives. I don’t have enough experience to judge for myself as of yet.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Geat data! You’re becoming a data-driven company  ( a buzzword in my work). I agree with the point Chris brought up, but I also think it shows you need investments in want is already popular as well in what is promising (mainly Chris’points). I’m not sure about the latter, but I could imagine a section devoted to popular knives. (But I also think that once you master the WE a bit, it doesn’t really matter what knife you sharpen, unless it’s very outrageous.)

It would also be interesting to get some insight in what searches did not give a reponse (still the majority.)

And how can we answer the question posed by a user on this page?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

And how can we answer the question posed by a user on this page?

^ This… the questions should be posted to the forum somehow… or a way to answer it.

Also, why not label it “Knowledge Base” for the link… instead of “How to”?  To me “Knowledge Base” is more fitting? (since that’s what it actually is…)

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

We do have a knowledge base article to address this question; I’m bummed the visitor didn’t find it. I’m putting a screengrab here, just because I’ve been really pleased with the search results through the knowledge base – they seem to be fast and accurate.

But adding to, and improving the current articles, in a current effort for us. It’s clear the knowledge base is popular, so we’re working right now to update it. If anyone is interested in being an author or editor, please PM me.

As for naming the knowledge base ‘How To’ we wanted to find something broad enough to encompass all of the resource types, even though there’s no argument here that it is – a knowledge base! We also wanted something shorter than knowledgebase.wickededgeusa.com, and then we like the way How To goes along with our help resources, like ‘How to Wicked Edge.’

We actually ran a survey to 400 consumers in CA & TX to have them vote. Granted, we didn’t include Knowledge Base as an option in the survey. How to was the survey winner.

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Haha… ok… (you basically asked if a “How To” section should be named “How To”)…   

(BTW, I was talking about the label on the page… not the link itself.  My bad).

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.