Advanced Search

Double sided tape

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Double sided tape

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

Which double sided tape do you use to attach diamond lapping film or sandpaper to plates? I cannot find removable double sided film tape with width 1 inch. There are plenty of 3/4″ and 1/2″, but not 1″ width. There is also 1″ permanent tapes, but not removable. Please post a link. Thanks!

Actually I found one 3M Scotch 9415PC Removable Repositionable Tape (Double-Sided): 1 in. x 72 yds. (Translucent), but the roll length is 72 yards!

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I used the 3/4″ wide… no problem… never found a 1″ wide either.  (If concerned, I guess you could use two strips of ½”… but the 3/4″ worked for me.)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Frans
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 83

The WE stones are 20mm wide and the 3/4″ (19mm) works perfectly for me.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Here’s a gratuitously redundant video showing the 3/4″ tape being applied to 1000 grit stone…

4 users thanked author for this post.
    darkzero
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

Why 1″? Is that the size of the lapping films?

Yup same here, I use 3/4″ cause my paddles are 20.1mm. 3/4″(19mm) is much closer to 20mm than 1″ is.

I use the Scotch double sided tape also but I use the permanent cause I had a roll laying around. You don’t really need the removable stuff, the permament & removable types are for use with paper. I use the permanent on aluminum paddles, it comes off no problem & stays on the sandpaper. I don’t care about removal of the tape from the sandpaper cause it gets thrown away anyway. When I run out I will buy the permament type again.

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

To DarkZero:  Tape 1″ is my mistake. I saw here that “lapping film is available 1 x 5.5 inch strips to be used with the Wicked Edge”. It is why I though that tape should be 1 inch. Many thanks to people who posted here and corrected my mistake. The paddle width is 3/4″ and you need 3/4″ tape. Good to know that permanent tape can also be used on aluminum paddles. Thank you!

To Curry Custom Cutlery: Many thanks for your video! It is well done and very helpful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.