Advanced Search

DMT 3 micron stone

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements DMT 3 micron stone

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Ah ok, so the Micro-Fine fine that you refer to is that the same ceramic stone as the one on the MicroFine ceramic paddle that you already offer?

Yes. I’m just thinking of a new combination for the fine stone w/ the 3um diamonds as a very fast, effective finishing tool for everyday type edges.[/quote]

Clay, Just curious if any progress was made with the new stone combo? I guess I’m kinda excited to see the new combo and what you decided on, if anything yet? :unsure:[/quote]

The new 3 micron stones should be shipping to us today or tomorrow. Once we have them in I’ll do some sharpening progressions and see how the combo works. I’m thinking it will be great.[/quote]

Thank you very much sir! Very excited!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

We got the new 3 micron stones in yesterday. I mounted up a pair and started some testing. At first they were pretty coarse and needed breaking in so I gently rubbed them together a few times. Next I sharpened my EDC, just touched it up really, to see how it would change the finish and the cutting ability. I’d had it pretty well polished already from the Micro-Fine stones and a little stropping. After using the fairly new 3 micron stones, the edge was till shiny but not as polished as it was before I started. It cut very aggressively though didn’t shave impressively.

Today I started a progression from 800# diamond to 3um diamond and then strops from 3.5um> 1um> .5um on cow leather and then .25um on kangaroo. Under the microscope, there was an obvious difference between the 800# and the 3um diamond plates – just about exactly what you’d expect in terms of scratch size. I wish now that I’d taken an image of the junction between the 800# and 3um bevels to illustrate the difference. I did take photos of the rest of the phases though. Here is the blade after the first sharpening with the 3um plates:

3um Diamond Stone – 2000x

I measured a fair sample of the scratches under the scope. The largest were just under 3 microns and the average was approximately 1.5 microns which makes sense – you’re almost never getting the full diameter of the particle in contact with blade at any given time, usually just a corner or facet.

3.5um Diamond and Cow Leather Strops – 2000x. 20 Strokes per side.

3.5um Diamond and Cow Leather Strops – 2000x. 70 Strokes per side.

I lowered the angle by two degrees prior to stropping.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I went on through 1um and .5um and then finished at .25um:

.25um Diamond and Kangaroo Leather Strops – 2000x

I then went back and restored the micro-bevel that the strops had erased with the 3um diamond stone:

3um Diamond Plate – 2000x

Here you see the junction between the 18 degree shoulder at .25um and the 20 degree micro-bevel at 3um.

3um Diamond Plate – 2000x

In this last image you see the edge after the 3um stones. The difference between the edge in this image and the first is fairly pronounced. I think there are two factors contributing to what we’re seeing:

1) In the first image, I used the 3um stones on an edge that had been sharpened with the 800# diamond plates so the edge was already a little ragged

2) The 3um stones continued to break in as I was using them and gave a much cleaner edge the second time around.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Next I used the fine side of my Micro-Fine stones:

Micro-Fine Fine – 2000x

Micro-Fine Fine – 2000x

In the image above, you can see the junction between the bevels made by the Micro-Fine fine stones and the .25um diamond strops.

Attachments:

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I lowered the angle again to 18 degrees and used the .25um kangaroo strops. I wanted to see if it was viable to go from 3um diamonds to the fine Micro-Fines and then to the .25 kangaroo strops:

.25um Kangaroo Strops – 2000x

Overall I think it was very successful though I’ll probably add a .5um kangaroo step in between the Micro-Fines and the .25 roo strops. I think a great progression would go as follows:

1000# diamond> 3um diamond> .6um micro-fine> .5um diamond on roo> .25um diamond on roo

Attachments:

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I went ahead and dropped back to .5um diamond strops to test the theory. I did 50 strokes with the .5um strops and then another 50 with the .25um strops. Here are the results:

.25um Diamond on Kangaroo Strops – 2000x

Attachments:

-Clay

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

VERY COOL!! :woohoo: This is the first time I have seen a pic that high of magnification and on the end of the blade. I can see the “V” angle very clearly. Would you say that it is “super imposed”?
    I just can’t believe how much I learn on this forum! :woohoo: B) 😉 Thank you Clay!
    Eamon

wickededge
    Keymaster

VERY COOL!! :woohoo: This is the first time I have seen a pic that high of magnification and on the end of the blade. I can see the “V” angle very clearly. Would you say that it is “super imposed”?
    I just can’t believe how much I learn on this forum! :woohoo: B) 😉 Thank you Clay!
    Eamon

I’m pretty sure that what you’re seeing there is a reflection of the edge caught in the immersion oil that I use with the 2000x lens. The angle of the entire blade is only 20 degrees from horizontal making the bevel close to perpendicular to the lens.

-Clay

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Eamon

I’m pretty sure that what you’re seeing there is a reflection of the edge caught in the immersion oil that I use with the 2000x lens. The angle of the entire blade is only 20 degrees from horizontal making the bevel close to perpendicular to the lens.[/quote]

Dam learning curve!! :blink: Still very cool!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Overall I think it was very successful though I’ll probably add a .5um kangaroo step in between the Micro-Fines and the .25 roo strops. I think a great progression would go as follows:

1000# diamond> 3um diamond> .6um micro-fine> .5um diamond on roo> .25um diamond on roo

Looks very impressive! The results you obtained and, as always, the pictures.

Seeing this now I’d definitely go for a 3mu diamond/.6mu ceramic paddle combi.

Which diamond sprays do you use, by the way? Poly or mono diamond?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Never tire of ‘scope pics!!!

Looks good!

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Looks very impressive! Which diamond sprays do you use, by the way?
    Poly or mono diamond?

That is a question… Interesting?
    I have always wondered if we could quantify the differences…
    Still do!
    Have yet to see anything quantifiable, other than “discussions” on the topic.
    Perhaps something that Clay might want to explore … during his “leisure” time…

👿
    Have you documented any differences Mark??

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Looks very impressive! Which diamond sprays do you use, by the way?
    Poly or mono diamond?

Have you documented any differences Mark??[/quote]

No I haven’t. But I can see that the stuff Clay used works very effectively. Do you notice any differences?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

No I don’t. But my measurement tools are crude. I have not done any controlled testing either, such as number of strokes required to get the same results based on the ability to test that I do have.
    I still keep thinking about building one of those sharpness testers.
    I really like to “see” what is going on, but I guess the real criteria for sharpness is in the cutting ability of a blade.

BTW, thanks Clay for doing this!

wickededge
    Keymaster

No I don’t. But my measurement tools are crude. I have not done any controlled testing either, such as number of strokes required to get the same results based on the ability to test that I do have.
    I still keep thinking about building one of those sharpness testers.
    I really like to “see” what is going on, but I guess the real criteria for sharpness is in the cutting ability of a blade.

BTW, thanks Clay for doing this!

You’re welcome. I’ve been thinking a lot about building one of these testers as well. I’m a little short on space at the moment but I’d love to have on right next to my sharpening set up and microscopes to further extend the testing I do. It would be quantify the impact of stropping at the same angle as the sharpening vs. stropping at a lower or higher angle. There are dozens of ways in which it would be helpful for testing.

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.