Advanced Search

Diamond paste

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Diamond paste

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Bart LaMont
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 8

Just wondering how often to reload my 5 & 3.5 micron strops with diamond paste? Wasn’t sure if there was a sound or feel while your using them or if it’s just a result from your stroping that you look for.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

It depends on a lot of things, but a load should be good for 20+ knives. Use it sparingly.

Regards
    Leo

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I don’t reload them very often. Also make sure you don’t put too much paste on the strops. I find they work best when they are quite “sticky”, so they have a lot of burnishing power. Only when they get so sticky I can hardly move them anymore in a normal way I reload them.

Clay sometime revitalizes his strops with alcohol and has written that worked quite well, but I’ve never tried that.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I use alcohol on them every time. I take a paper towel and wet it with alcohol. Then I pat the the strops just enough until I can see they are not dry (but not “wet” either). I use a clean spot of the towel to not cross contaminate. Doing this seems to make them stickier.

John Sacchetti
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 5

Do they need frequent applications at first to built up a base? The leather does not seem to absorb any paste. It all wipes off on the blade.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Not really. I rub them together to help work it in… others use a little alcohol on the strop.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Not really. I rub them together to help work it in… others use a little alcohol on the strop.

When I frist got my stops and WEPS paste, I blew it. I put way too much paste on the leather. I used half of the syringe between the two stops. The paste was coming off when I stropped and basically was a mess.
    If you distribute about %20 of the syringe over the two strops you will be better off. Meaning you should get … atleast 5 applications per syringe. Really a nice thin even coat is all that you need for at least 20 knives, maybe even 30 or so. I wouldn’t even obsess about having the coating super even… it is hard to do with the weps pastes. If you get 80% of the area that you use for sharpening covered well and a few thin spots, it will not hurt anything. Just don’t overdo he paste application. I think spots that are a little thin are better than areas that have too much pate on them. You will waste the paste and not get the results that you want. Besides, the paste is not cheap… use sparingly.

I have used a bit of alcohol Isopropyl 90%, with a bit of cotton ball just moist, to thin and distribute the paste. Just not too much alcohol… and not a lot of pressure. You doin’t want to wipe the paste off just smear it thinly.

Phil

cbwx34
    Participant

If you distribute about %20 of the syringe over the two strops you will be better off. Meaning you should get … atleast 5 applications per syringe.

Even that seems like a lot… for the first application I put 3 or 4 drops sorta evenly spaced down the strop, then rub it in. After that, I just put 1 or 2 drops and rub the strops together to keep them refreshed. I’ve only refreshed mine 2 or 3 times, and I think I’ve got more than 5 applications left.

You can tell they’re working if they’re getting black (and of course by what the knife looks like).

Clay’s written several times that it doesn’t take much, for example…

I find that I’m ready to re-paste after 100 knives or so. We often go to shows and don’t re-paste for the entire show. If the strops don’t seem to be be performing anymore, I apply a little more. A little goes a very long way. Reference
    –Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Curtis..
    You are proabaly right… let me rephrase what I said. Just enough to get a even light coat.. whatever that takes..
    I was trying to visualize what I use compared to what is in a new syringe… may well have estimated on the high side.

How do you get drops? The stuff I have is too thick to get it to make drops??

Phil

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Bang on Curtis! In an earlier post in this thread I said to use the paste sparingly and I meant sparingly :blink: …20% or even close to that is not at all necessary and wasteful. I spoke to Clay about this and he recommends a thin dab of paste about the width of your pinkie fingernail and and about inch long. This amount is worked in and spread evenly over the whole face of the strop and in my experience is good for 75 knives or so depending on use of the individual strop. A tube of paste should last for a long, long time.

Leo
    P.S. I have edited twice so far…too early in the morning for this brain to work without a coffee. I think I am clear now. :silly:

cbwx34
    Participant

How do you get drops? The stuff I have is too thick to get it to make drops??

Drop as in a small quantity of a substance. 🙂

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Curtis,
    You know how I am about defining terms. A drop has a specific definition. 1 drop=0.05 ml. 1 ml=20 drops.
    I think I could get a dollup, or a dab out of my paste.. then diameter and thickness would be important.. 🙂 Just playing with you… of course!

In any case, I have not found the place on the WEPS site where I read a few years back to use an inch long strip. Regardless, I now can say, from experience, that this is way too much. Though I did try it, I did not like the results, at all.

My intent now is to put enough pasts on for a THIN coat applied in a reasonably uniform manner. Whatever that takes. I typically start with less, maybe a dollup 👿
    or two, and add as I go to get the results that I want. In the interest of getting a uniform coating, I have over applied paste and scraped to get the even coat that I want. This might be considered a waste, but it gets me where I want to be. I have a piece of cardboard with the scrapings on it. It works OK for a quick touch up of the edge in the “field”.

Leo,
    Maybe you didn’t see my post after Curtis’. I did say that 20% is likely too much. That will teach me to try to put any difinitive numbers out there… by guestimating from memory. So we can say that the consensus is that using 20% of the tube in one application would be excessive.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I saw it, but I wanted to be sure that, especially new people understood, that such large amounts are not necessary,so I wanted to clarify. ‘Might be excessive’ and ‘likely too much’…definitely too much and wasteful.
    First-timers read what we old hands say as gospel so I wanted to be clear of the approximate amount of paste to use. Even 10% is more than is necessary on a strop the size found on the WEPS.

regards
    Leo

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Got it…

cbwx34
    Participant

Curtis,
    You know how I am about defining terms. A drop has a specific definition. 1 drop=0.05 ml. 1 ml=20 drops.
    I think I could get a dollup, or a dab out of my paste.. then diameter and thickness would be important.. 🙂 Just playing with you… of course!.

I know, so this will make you laugh. I was going to use dollop (it’s not dollup), and knowing it was you, I looked it up first (which is why I know the spelling). 🙂 When I saw one definition was “an indefinite, often large quantity of something”, I figured… better not use that with Phil! 👿 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.