Advanced Search

Curved paddles

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

today i sort of backed into a new set of the curved paddles – long story.
    fine/coarse – 400/600’s.
    last time i tried, they were out of stock -anyway – i watched clay’s video on them, but i need opinions and maybe actual sharpening info. from users.
    thanks

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Did you ever try these? I don’t have them, so can’t answer your question, but curious why you got them, or what you want to use them for.

I did a Mini-Mojo (or Mini Mojito or Mojito… depending on when one got one) :S … has a recurve tighter than a Chive… still just used the stock stones. Here’s a before/after shot…

Attachments:
    DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Can anyone explain why a blade would be designed like this, with the heavy belly curve ? Looks like it might make a decent skinning knife, but would like to know it’s actual design intent if anyone knows ?

Kent
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 26

Have you come across knives that require the curved stones. I too did my 3 ZT recuves with the stock stones. But those are big folders with a lot of surface area. But I think I may need them when my ZT 0750 factory edges is gone. It hawk bill blade.

It called a recurve blade.

It used to provide less cutting force. The shape of the blade draws the material being cut to the edge and with the forward hump it stay there provide more length of cuttting then with a straighter blade.

Alot of Kershaw and zt knives use this design. Mostly with ken onion desgined knives.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Have you come across knives that require the curved stones. I too did my 3 ZT recuves with the stock stones. But those are big folders with a lot of surface area. But I think I may need them when my ZT 0750 factory edges is gone. It hawk bill blade.

Haven’t sharpened a 0750, but have handled one… it didn’t appear to me to need the curved stones… it’s not much of a curve. You’d just have to adjust the “normal” technique a bit and let the stone follow the curved edge, not come straight off. Marking it with a Sharpie and checking with a fine stone should show you how the stone will follow the edge.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.