Advanced Search

Consistent Angle Differences (Potential Issue)

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Consistent Angle Differences (Potential Issue)

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

Here are a few pics illustrating the left and right side differences…

ZT 0560 Left Side

ZT 0560 Right Side (Notice even the difference in the tip sharpening between left and right)

well, that is nice math but… can you measure the angles and tell us what they really are on this blade? a goniometer measurement would be best, but you can estimate with an angle cube and the WE rods themselves (no paddles installed), or a careful use of a straight edge, this would be helpful

.. this is perhaps not an angle issue or an issue with the WE, but is a good example of blade asymmetry as a result of sharpening technique. See Ken S excellent vid that discusses this in detail :

The key concept of this video is that one can adjust blade asymmetry simply by adjusting how much you grind on either side of the knife and it is completely unnecessary to change angles when adjusting asymmetry. Stated another way, you can have extreme blade asymmetry while at the same time having exact and identical angles everywhere and on both sides of a blade.

Link to Kens Video

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

OK, this popped into my head driving. So haven’t thought it out too far but…..

If its technique, spin the WEPS around and mount the knife from the back, so right is left and left is right and sharpen a knife. YOu know, mounted like normal just the WEPS backwards.

If its your left hand technique or whatever, should show it no?

Like I said, just popped into my head, but then again, my head is firmly up my rear in most cases so take this idea with a grain of salt 🙂

Ken Schwartz
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 90

Well, Dan did make the point that grinding on one side more that the other can make for a larger bevel even with both sides at the same angle. So you can match bevel widths by grinding for a longer time on the side that is shortest.

Ken

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.