Advanced Search

Component Pricing?

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Component Pricing?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

Clay
    I am having a problem with my WE jaws. They are beginning to spread out and are not lining up any more, the free moving jaw is higher that the fixed. Just wondering on prices for a new set of jaws or if you sell just one side of the jaws.

Also with that I was wondering how much the blue base would cost too?

My leather strops are beginning to pull away from the paddles and I was wondering if you sold just the leather inserts for them?

If I could please get a list of individual prices I would very much appreciate it so I can get the parts to rebuild my WE to where it needs to be.

I posted this here due to the security code not showing up on the “contact us page” and some guys here may have the same problems.

Thank you
    Jed

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I can’t comment on the jaws or base, but the strops are pretty easy. You can just buy a decent piece of lather at any leather supply or maybe hobby shop, cut it to size and use double stick tape to hold it to the paddle. I bought a few blank paddles in the past, specifically because I wanted to use some heavy weight hard rolled horse butt on them.

Here is one thing to consider:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2004242/8620/leather-for-honeslip-makers.aspx

Not cheap, but you can cut quite a few WEPS sized pieces out of it. Or you can make a few pieces for the WEPS and have enough for a nice bench strop left over.

If you have a Tandy Leather near you, they will sell you a number of different kinds and sizes of pieces of leather. You can also shop online.

If you want to shop, you can buy an entire Horse Butt section for the same price or less. That will probably get you 50 WEPS size pieces (+/- a few).

I hope I am not stepping on any toes here, but as I have never seen the leather strips advertised on the web site, I hope that they are not actively seeking to sell these.

Jed Bowen
    Participant

Thanks Phil
    I thought about leather shops or boot repair shops too.

I was just trying to see if they had the strop parts here before I go somewhere else. I like the way Clay is involved with the forums and takes time to see what the people want in some of the new products. So I want to give WE first crack at it.

Plus I figure I can put together a second lighter WE together to travel with since I bought the pro pack 2. I have the old arms and base rod, now I just need a base and vice jaws.

I have friends who can machine these parts if they too pricey here.
    I also thought of having the jaws made from steel to prevent them from spreading too. I believe I saw someone on here make them out of steel here or heard it mentioned.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

If I may make a suggestion. Though Clay really does take an active part in the forums, he also keeps pretty busy running the business. You would likely get a quicker and more comprehensive answer if you wrote directly to Kyle or called the toll free number.

In the past this is what I have done. Take care of everything with one phone call (pricing, availability, and ordering)…or an email message or two.

I am sure that a long discussion of possibilities and pricing would be way off topic for the forums anyway.
    If you need Kyle’s email address, just send me a PM and I will be happy to provide it.

Just trying to be of some help based on personal experience.

Kent
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 26

I just ordered the vise jaws and the screw kit. It was very reasonably priced. Call the sales staff they can help you out.

Benoît Membré
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 22

I’ve had the same problem at the begining, when I sharpened my first knives. I got a new pair of jaws from Wicked Edge and I thought about what I had probably done wrong in order to get those jaws bent.
    I noticed that it was probably because I tightened the vise too much (well, the only possible cause!). The reason for that was because when I wanted to sharpen, let’s say, a full flat grind knife for example, I did not use any adhesive tape so the blade slipped in the vise and I needed to tighten and tighten again. Too much…
    So, to make a long story short, I use tape on every knife I sharpen now. I use that kind of tape which is used by painters. It’s relatively thick, soft and most of all, non-slippery without being double sided adhesive. It protects the blade from scratches and helps to have it firmly maintained in the vise without tightening it too much. Since then, I kept my jaws as straight as on the first day.

Jed Bowen
    Participant

Thank you everyone for the info.

Sorry I have been on a long stretch at the hospital and not able to reply.

I know Clay is a very busy man and thanks to all who replied. I addressed Clay because I did not know who to ask and the contact us page did not have the secunity code to enter to send an email to the company. Also there was no 800 number on the page that I saw too. What I was getting at is I like how Clay is involved as much as he can be on the boards and that he takes ideas for new products from the peoele here use his product daily. I am saying he is still involved like a small business should be and though be is busy he still tries. And I put a lot of stock in small business. I have not been in a WalMart for years and refuse to. I go to Home DePot when the other 3 local hardware stores do not have what I want. Big business is SHIT anymore and no one cares about the customers or the crappy service they provide. This is why I want to give WE the chance for the parts needed.

I know the reason for my vice jaws is applying too much force to the screws. I have had some big and heavy projects put in the WE and they kept moving so I wrenched down on the screws. I have some strips from a yoga mat I use on full ground blades and thin blades as well which work great. It is like the non slip mat or chamoise.

Thank you once again
    Jed

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Jed,
    Right above the map under the “Contact us” tab, copied and pasted here. :whistle:

3 Caliente Road
    Suite 8
    Santa Fe, NM 87508

Telephone: 877-616-9911

BTW, sorry to hear about the hospital stay. I hope things are OK now.

Phil

Jed Bowen
    Participant

Thank you. Just got off the phone with them and got it ordered. $35.00 + S&H is great especially for something that they are having to replace often.

Now I have to wait and see if I can drill another hole in the my base, to be able to remove the jaws easier to swap them out between old bent ones for the big jobs and jobs where the jaws need some real clamping power.

A+ for the customer service and great personality. Great bunch of people here and on the other end of the phone.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.