Advanced Search

Chris Reeve insingo

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Chris Reeve insingo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Edwe
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 11

Hia

Have a small Reeve insingo but the factory sharpening isn’t as good as the Umnum.

I need help here, tried a few strokes with the Pro gen 3 but it seems to small, couldnt get the sweet spot because backward it loosen the gripp.

Angle tip any suggestion pics preferred

Edwe
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 11

hm, should have been in a own topic, sorry about that

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

I took this unsolicited cut and paste from another knife forum..

I say try the 40 degree setting. Run a black marker down the edge of your knife. See if its still there after two passes. If its gone than your sharpening the edge. If its still there than you have to re-profile . You got a $400 dollar knife get a $400 dollar sharpener lol. Wicked Edge is the shit. I need to sharpen up my Sebenza too just havent messed with it yet. <b></b><i></i><u></u>

An unsolicited testimonial of the Wicked edge.

as this post suggests, set your angle on 20* degrees ( 40 * included ) meaning 20* degrees each side.  use a black marker on the edge. Take a few strokes with 800 # or 1000 # grit.. Note if it removes  all the black marker (From the edge )..  if it just removes the top part, the angle is to big,(  lower the angle ). if it just removes the bottom of the marker its too small ( increase the angle. The black marker just gives you a witness line for reference.

Bill aka ET

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Maybe you want to take a look at the video in which Clay sharpens a Sebenza. It’s very helpful and he puts a covex edge on the knife.

P.S. I don’t seem to be able to move this topic to another forum. Maybe Chris can tell me how?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Hey Mark,

Do you have the link for this one?  I would like to see it.  Is there a list of Clay’s videos?   I have seen some on Youtube, some on WE home page,…

Thanks

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

If you want to match the existing angle, use your sharpie and paint the edge then use your 1k stones to get as close as you can. You will likely need to profile a little bit to even eveything up, so matching the sweet spot perfectly won’t be possible until you get it dialed in with the first grinding section.

But personally, I would follow the instructions in the video below accept maybe tilt the tip down slightly so it’s under the line on the tape (this will widen up the edge at the tip slightly). Then set your edge angles to 15 dps and grind until apexed w/ your 100 grit stones. Then progress up.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Now I am confused ” Big time “…. I appreciate this video… I thought toothy was not sharp… Again, I am a novice here. I’m looking for sharp knives. so why do I need more than 600 # grit.  I can make a mirrored edge, but does mirroring an edge make it less sharp ?… because of this video, Im guessing that mirror is pretty but not sharp.  So toothy is what IM looking for is that correct?

Also with the use of water on stones that are magnetic, what about rust .  anything magnetic has iron in it… that mixed with H2O causes ferrous oxide ( rust )

Mark76
    Participant

There’s a huge list of videos on the WE home page (not the forum page).

But here’s Clay sharpening a Sebenza:

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Now I am confused ” Big time “…. I appreciate this video… I thought toothy was not sharp… Again, I am a novice here. I’m looking for sharp knives. so why do I need more than 600 # grit. I can make a mirrored edge, but does mirroring an edge make it less sharp ?… because of this video, Im guessing that mirror is pretty but not sharp. So toothy is what IM looking for is that correct?

Depends what you’re cutting. And personal preference. As a gross analogy. A saw cuts wood better with “some tooth” than a sharp smooth blade. I’ve seen it stated that cooks generally prefer a 600 grit finish. Some hunters may use a polished bevel with a micro bevel at 1000 grit. Need to experiment to see what works for you and your tasks and the amount of time you want to put into it. The thickness of the blade behind the apex is also a factor.

Hope that helps

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant

Now I am confused ” Big time “…. I appreciate this video… I thought toothy was not sharp… Again, I am a novice here. I’m looking for sharp knives. so why do I need more than 600 # grit. I can make a mirrored edge, but does mirroring an edge make it less sharp ?… because of this video, Im guessing that mirror is pretty but not sharp. So toothy is what IM looking for is that correct? Also with the use of water on stones that are magnetic, what about rust . anything magnetic has iron in it… that mixed with H2O causes ferrous oxide ( rust )

Mike had it right… Bill, if you check various photos here on the Science of Sharp blog, you will see the difference between toothy and polished. For example, this should really help visualize. Both photos were taken at the same magnification:

Toothy

Polished:

A lot of guys like the mirrored polished look and cutting, but I do not for several reasons…

1. I don’t use my knives by picking a point on the edge and pushing through what I’m cutting… I do a draw cut, or a slice. A mirrored edge lacks slicing aggression, which I happen to love.

2. It takes way too much time… If reprofiling too, 2 hrs. when you are starting and depending on what equipment you have, 1 hr after you get good w/ the right stuff.

3. Sure it gets hair whittling or even hair severing sharp, but it loses that level of sharpness quickly whereas a toothy edge will hold it’s sharpness for a while before needing to be touched up.

So there you have it… It depends on what you are cutting and personal preference. In my experience a toothy edge excels on cutting soft or fibrous material, whereas a polished edge will excel on push cutting through hard items (think straight razor, chopping, or wood carving).

Josh
    Participant

Bill, what mainly matters about sharpness is a clean, burr-free apex and the apex width (and the metal behind it).

So again, from the Science of Sharp blog, here is an equivalent toothy edge direct on view:

Here is a similar edge to the polished edge above:

So while the polished/stropped edge above has a slightly finer apex width, note that there are points on the peaks of the toothy edge that are also that thin (roughly).

Anonymous
    Inactive

thank you

what about the water question ?

Josh
    Participant

thank you what about the water question ?

Oh sorry, I have used water on my diamonds for months on end and didn’t have much of an issue, maybe ever so slight discoloration. However, I have switched to using Windex (every so often I will spray some on, rub it in with my finger, then wipe it off w/ a clean paper towel) and I have had zero corrosion issues doing this. Have been doing it for years now.

Mark76
    Participant

I’ve actually put my diamond stones in the dish washer. No corrosion. I wouldn’t recommend this, though.

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

thank you what about the water question ?

I’ve used a soapy water solution, as seen in this video with Clay sharpening a knife since I’ve had my WE, about 3-4 months now.  No issues with rust at all.  It keeps the dust at bay, and I believe it helps in the sharpening process to have a little lubrication.

Alan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.