Advanced Search

Ceramics Wet or Dry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Don’t know if this has been answered or not. I now have the 12001600 ceramics, and am looking into getting the 1.4.6u ceramics. I have been using the 12001600’s dry, do the 1.4.6u ceramics also get used dry? Or should all the ceramics be used wet?
    Thanks for your help.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Can be used either way. I think Clay found that wet refined the edge more. Don’t soak the ceramics as the stone may fall off the platen. The tape used to hold the ceramic doesn’t like water.

I dampen all of my stones to limit metal dust getting into the air.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

+1 to Mike. The edge may be slightly finer when you use the stones a bit wet, but the difference is not large.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

You can use a spritzer bottle to dampen the stones. It can shoot a fine mist that works well without threatening the integrity of the tape holding the ceramic.

Leo

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Soaking them is pretty useless anyway, since these stones are so hard and not porous. But a little water may help remove the swarf (metal filings). My girlfriend sometimes wonders nowadays where our plant spritzer has gone 😉 .

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Thanks Guys for the replys, as always everyone is really helpful on this forum.
    Thanks

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Just keep in mind they are not oil stones. My son used my WE on a knife and put oil on the ceramics and diamonds. Needless to say getting it out was a hassle, and the tape likes oil less then it likes water. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.