Advanced Search

Ceramic problems PICS – UPDATE

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Ceramic Stones Ceramic problems PICS – UPDATE

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Hendershott
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

UPDATE – Kyle and the boys at WEP hooked me up. new stones arrived today and are perfect. can’t wait to get them going. THANKS GUYS!

this thread is a spin off of my into thread i started the other day. I realize there was a subsection for these stones after i started my initial thread

one problem i have run into already of which I’m certainly displeased with. about 6 knives in my 1600 stone came off the platen. appears the hot glue didn’t like the stone all that much. i took notice to my other 1200/1600 stone and the 1600 is becoming “soft” in the platen as well.

granted I wasn’t too happy after spending the considerable amount of coin on this system. any ideas where to go to have this problem fixed? was / is this a common issue and something i need to be concerned about with WEPS stones?

another issue with the same stones, the 1600 stones themselves seem “streaky” and inherently not flat. after a number if knives all i have is some dark think black lines on the stone letting me to believe their are inconsistent ridges and not allowing a full flat contact on the blade itself.

here are some pictures for you guys

as you can see on the stone itself, the high ridges where the black lines are would lead me to believe that those are the high points and the majority of the contact points on the stones. both are doing it and are the only stones (ceramics) that i have that are doing it. I will also add when running these on the blade they feel gritty and bumpy as i can feel certain points of the ceramics catch harder on the blade than other areas on the specific stone.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

There certainly was a problem. Did you contact the Wicked Edge about this? What was the result of the call? Are they looking after the problem for you?

Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Shotty,

Thanks for posting. Your stones obviously should not have fallen off. Please give us a call (877-616-9911) or send an email: support@wickededgeusa.com and we’ll get you taken care of ASAP.

–Clay

-Clay

Ryan Hendershott
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

Shotty,

Thanks for posting. Your stones obviously should not have fallen off. Please give us a call (877-616-9911) or send an email: support@wickededgeusa.com and we’ll get you taken care of ASAP.

–Clay

Kyle is hooking me up quick!

williaty
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 11

My new ceramics show heavy loading on the ridges just like the ones in the above pictures.

Since these heavy black lines indicate ridges of ceramic raised above the average surface, does this indicate a problem with the stones?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

My new ceramics show heavy loading on the ridges just like the ones in the above pictures.

Since these heavy black lines indicate ridges of ceramic raised above the average surface, does this indicate a problem with the stones?

Not at all – you can knock the ridges down by rubbing the stones lightly against your diamond stones, lapping them flat. It’s fast and easy. Alternately, you can just let the ridges get knocked down through repeated sharpening. If you do rub them LIGHTLY against your diamond stones, use some soapy water to keep them lubricated and to prevent the diamond stones from loading up.

-Clay

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.