Advanced Search

Centerline – Asymmetrical Bevel Sharpening

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Centerline – Asymmetrical Bevel Sharpening

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I hate to be redundant but I’m taking a recent thread and starting a new topic out of fear that it’ll get lost in the clutter.
    _ _ _ _ _

Ok… so… from what I understand the steering issue may be caused by the cutting edge/line being skewed to one side or the other from the blade centerline. This in turn puts too much mass on either side. Therefore, since the mass of the material is not distributed symmetrically (regardless of the edge’s asymmetrical geometry), when applying pressure along a vector, the cut inevitably becomes scewed as a result… I guess? :unsure:

http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/sharpening-with-a-ep-on-non-50-50-grind-t7468-10.html

~Steven

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I think Ken sums it up on the bottom of the page you have linked . I am going to go the way of checking steerage with Ballistic Gel .
    These diagrams you have included are of a blade that should be sharpened 50/50 .
    An asymmetric will be so from the sine to the edge that is you could say that one side is much flatter from spine to edge whilst the other side will be thinned from spine to bevel.
    Ken I would say sums it up when he says that the centre of effort must be balanced at the edge if it is not it will steer .
    I think cutting to test for steerage & if necessary tuning the bevels to minimise it should help in my understanding it seems that the more we try to explain asymmetric with either drawings or maths the more mind boggling it becomes.

Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

Yes, you have it. As the knife moves through material, it should steer to the flatter side because the beveled side “gets in the way” of the material, so more resistance results in pressure to the other side where there is hardly any resistance since the bevel is flat.

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

Tag for posterity

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I think Ken sums it up on the bottom of the page you have linked . I am going to go the way of checking steerage with Ballistic Gel .
    These diagrams you have included are of a blade that should be sharpened 50/50 .
    An asymmetric will be so from the sine to the edge that is you could say that one side is much flatter from spine to edge whilst the other side will be thinned from spine to bevel.
    Ken I would say sums it up when he says that the centre of effort must be balanced at the edge if it is not it will steer .
    I think cutting to test for steerage & if necessary tuning the bevels to minimise it should help in my understanding it seems that the more we try to explain asymmetric with either drawings or maths the more mind boggling it becomes.

Haha. BALLISTIC GEL?! Man, that’s awesome!… I love the breed of sharpeners we have here on this forum.

Please keep me in the loupe (pun!) Leo. Feel free to PM me with the data.

You rock!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.