Advanced Search

BUCK 450 RECENT SHARPENING

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos BUCK 450 RECENT SHARPENING

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Here a few pics of a recent knife I just completed for a hunting buddy of mine. It is a small Buck folding , lockback with black rubberized grips.

I used a 19 degree bevel each side ( 38 inclusive ), starting with the 200 grit diamonds and going up through the Super Fine ceramic 1200/1600 paddles, the Micro Fine ceramics, then leather strops, and finally Balsa strops.

I am almost convinced though, that I am getting sharper edges if I STOP….after the micro fine ceramics ? It seems like when I strop, the edges feel a little bit duller when done. Anybody else experience this ?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Thanks for posting, looks great.

I am almost convinced though, that I am getting sharper edges if I STOP….after the micro fine ceramics ? It seems like when I strop, the edges feel a little bit duller when done. Anybody else experience this ?

Stropping can “kill” an edge in a sense, by removing the “toothiness”… on the other hand, it can produce some of the sharpest push cutting edges you can get. You can try stropping at a bit lower (or higher) angle to see if you can improve the edge without “killing” it. (I’ve been doing higher which seems to fly in the face of everyone else, but what can I say, it works.). 🙂 Like you though, I often find an edge after the ceramics performs better.

The answer you ran across in the other thread is probably a good compromise. That’s the fun of sharpening… you can experiment and find what works best for you.

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant

thanks for the compliments and suggestions Curtis, I am definitely going to keep experimenting, but I do agree with you, if I ” carefully ” run my finger along the edge after the Micro Fine ceramics, I can feel the more tooth to the edge, and it start cutting into the skin IMMEDIATELY, but if I do that after I strop, it’s almost like a dull edge feels again, you can run your finger back and forth in kind of a sawing / slicing motion with light pressure, and it doesn’t cut, even though you can tell it’s still sharp…………..but if you put a little more downwards pressure………..instant cut. 😛

Also, I have noticed that even though I have the box checked to receive emails of responses to any of my posts, they haven’t been coming through since the update ? Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this too ?

Adrian King
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 19

I was having the same issue Darrell, I think I was rolling the edge due to the slight give that a strop has.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Darrell, 1st off your edge looks great! I agree with Curtis by your description ( wow you are actually cutting your self? :S ) I think you are definitely feeling the loose of teeth.
    Try this? I use my balsa before I use the leather. I have both 14/10 and 5/3.5 balsas.(On a side note going 14-10 the 5 makes hairs “pop” of the blade for me.) Also are you stroping the hell out of them? If you are try 10 strokes per side and only with extreme light touch! No more then the weight of the paddles, if that.
    You lose the teeth but you will have the best push cut out there. It all depends on what YOU think is sharp? Try reading through this link they have kind of qualified “sharp” it is for shaving but that is pretty “sharp”?

http://coticule.be/hanging-hair-test.html

Good luck have fun!!

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant

Darrell, 1st off your edge looks great! I agree with Curtis by your description ( wow you are actually cutting your self? :S ) I think you are definitely feeling the loose of teeth.
    Try this? I use my balsa before I use the leather. I have both 14/10 and 5/3.5 balsas.(On a side note going 14-10 the 5 makes hairs “pop” of the blade for me.) Also are you stroping the hell out of them? If you are try 10 strokes per side and only with extreme light touch! No more then the weight of the paddles, if that.
    You lose the teeth but you will have the best push cut out there. It all depends on what YOU think is sharp? Try reading through this link they have kind of qualified “sharp” it is for shaving but that is pretty “sharp”?

Good luck have fun!!

Thanks for the compliments Eamon !:cheer: I am not cutting myself to the point of bleeding, just testing the edge until you can just start to feel it cutting, LOL. I will give your suggestion a try on using the Balsa first……..I only have the 5 and 3.5 though……and I want to try Curtis’s suggestion too of backing off the angle a bit before I strop, but haven’t yet…..I definitely wouldn’t say I’m stropping the hell out of it, usually do 10-20 strokes per side, and very light as you state. I have read the article previously on the link you sent on the HHT and it was very interesting…..never knew that hairs had an almost ” overlapping, shingle-like ” makeup…………. :woohoo:
    What I consider sharp, is if it will push cut easily, and if it’ll shave the hair off my arm with ease.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Good luck have fun!!

[/color][/b]

Thanks for the compliments Eamon !:cheer: I am not cutting myself to the point of bleeding, just testing the edge until you can just start to feel it cutting, LOL. I will give your suggestion a try on using the Balsa first……..I only have the 5 and 3.5 though……and I want to try Curtis’s suggestion too of backing off the angle a bit before I strop, but haven’t yet…..I definitely wouldn’t say I’m stropping the hell out of it, usually do 10-20 strokes per side, and very light as you state. I have read the article previously on the link you sent on the HHT and it was very interesting…..never knew that hairs had an almost ” overlapping, shingle-like ” makeup…………. :woohoo:
    What I consider sharp, is if it will push cut easily, and if it’ll shave the hair off my arm with ease.[/quote]

I think your idea of sharp is the same as mine. If it will push cut and shave it is good to me. I have made them “tree top” but I think the edge becomes to fine and does not last? Got to admit though it is fun to watch your friends face when they see tree tops happen :cheer: Bragging rights!! :woohoo:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.