Advanced Search

Bit of a goofy experiment, but I like it

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Bit of a goofy experiment, but I like it

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

A friend gave me a 10″ Henckels slicer…. except the blade was cleanly broken about 3.5″ from the handle. Almost broken at right angles to the spine. So I fired up the Sharpie and drew a few trial points to see how they looked, then fired up the grinder to grind it to shape.

Then I put it on the WEPS, set up at 18 degrees, and went to work. It was no small task to sharpen it up to the point, which was on the spine, because the spine was relatively thick on this blade, seeing as how it was only 3.5″ from the handle. Finally got the burr all the way to the point, and yes, it’s wicked sharp, of course.

I think it looks a little odd, proportion wise, but I like it! Gotta figure out a name for the type…. how about a “Utility Hunter”?

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Nice – I like it. And you did a great job keeping the bevel even as it went into the thicker stock at the spine! How is the balance at the shorter length? How about “kitchen hunter”? That’s still not right and yours has a better ring to it…

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Nice work! Looks original and I mean that in a positive way! :cheer:

How long did it take you to get the knife into this shape?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

Holy thread resurrection, batman!

Thanks for the comments. I like “kitchen hunter” too. Never know when I’ll have to skin a wild chicken carcass or fend off a mean carrot… Actually I think it would make a good EDC belt sheathed knife for someone who is on a boat and fishing, etc. The blade is quite stiff but with a bit of give, and the edge is very sharp, of course. The handle is long enough to be gripped with gloves on if needed. The balance point is about 0.5″ from the joint between the handle and the steel, on the handle side. It feels nice in the hand, well balanced.

It took probably a bit more than an hour for the entire process, grinding didn’t take too long, but I didn’t want to hog material because I didn’t want to heat up the steel too much, so I took it slow, maybe 10 min to grind, then close to an hour with the WEPS, as that spine is thick, so a lot of material had to be removed with the 100 grit stone.

Kind of cool to salvage a throwaway.

Rgds,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.