Advanced Search

BenchMade Volli

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos BenchMade Volli

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Fraley
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 10

Hey Guys,

Figured I would post some pictures.
    This was my 4th knife I sharpened with the wicked edge also did my fist acid etching on it.
    Which I ended up doing it backwards/inverted.
    I didn’t realize until I had nail polish all over.

What I intended is a polish boarder going around the whole knife top/bottom and also have the gears polished.
    Then everything else acid etched. I made the stencils out of tape and by the time I noticed I had a ton of nail polish and was in no mood to recut stencils.
    Next time I will buy stencils made. lol

That being said if anyone could recommend a good place that makes some that would be awesome. I’m using that radio shack acid so would need something I can dunk for 30min or so

This was also my 4th knife I used with the wicked edge.
    I noticed when I made it to my last strop.
    My angles were both off about .20-.30 so I re-angled them back to 15.00 and that seemed to help the polishing a ton.
    pics don’t do it justice but by eye it seems very close to mirror

Let me know what you guys think

Dropbox Gallery link
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b6ffnzeunki2p0y/ifVyopHPGc

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Knife looks good. :woohoo:

I’m also interested in how you’re documenting your sharpening (the first couple of pics)… what is that? (Did I miss something?)

Thomas Fraley
    Participant

cbwx34,

No you didn’t miss anything. It’s still a work in progress for me. I’m new to the WickedEdge so still learning what is needed for documentations.

It’s a database I put together that I thought might help keep things organized.
    A nice way to get ride of that notebook I see ppl using.
    Whats nice is you can use it on an iphone and ipad as well and sync it with your computer.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

cbwx34,

No you didn’t miss anything. It’s still a work in progress for me. I’m new to the WickedEdge so still learning what is needed for documentations.

It’s a database I put together that I thought might help keep things organized.
    A nice way to get ride of that notebook I see ppl using.
    Whats nice is you can use it on an iphone and ipad as well and sync it with your computer.

I did a double take on that as well? :S Thought there was something on WEPS I missed? I tried to get a close up but the puter was not having it? :S Is it possible to see a better shot of it? It looks kind of cool. B)

Thomas Fraley
    Participant

EamonMcGowan,

I’m planing on making a shot screencast of this. I’ve had a few people ask about it.
    Probably be monday or Tuesday.

FYI on the bottom right of the page there are 3 dots (more actions) if you click on that you get an option to download the image.
    You can download the image and zoom in that way if your having trouble in your browser.

This is still a work in progress. I’m not a knife maker i’m a IT guy.

That being said so far. every entry is broken up into sections (forms)
    1. Client (currently empty)
    2. Purchased (Keep track of when you bought your knifes and receipts figured it would be nice to keep it on hand incase of warrantee issues.
    3. Knife information (what type of blade, metal, images and anything else I can think of)
    4. Is basically for wicked edge all notes about the knife thats good to keep track of. Images of before and after. Knife angles before and after, blade orientation, ruler guide, depth key, List of stones and straps with check box’s

I’m not one for paper but always have a phone or tablet with me which this syncs with as well. Doesn’t look as nice on a phone or tablet but options are there. Can snap shots and input it.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Tfraley,

Thank you so much for including me! Just dam nice of you! I assume the “three dots” will be on Tuesdays shot or then I’m completely confused right now from the get go? :S As such I’m not a IT guy I just kinda make it on the internet and peck at the keys :huh: but given enough time I make it? 😳

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I was interested to see that you are using Bento for your data I use Numbers from iWork for recording basic data – whose knives ,number of knives and charge and then I use notes for anything particular about a knife . I use these mainly on IOS . What I haven’t tried is using Siri to speed up entries I use Siri mainly for iCal .
    When in the thick of sharpening I do not have the time if sharpening on location to enter this data nor do I really want an iPad on the bench next to my sharpening .
    I like the idea of collecting the data on the cloud and as said since I have not tried to use Siri in Numbers or Notes I do not know its limitations I believe it is coming to Mavericks-OSX 10.9 which should further refine Siri. Then I guess it will be up to someone to compose or refine an app whereby everything can be entered through Siri that would be really handy.
    Your pro forma on Bento is very good although if you had a mass of knives to sharpen I am not sure that you would want to spend the time between each knife entering all that good information.
    Tech can either hinder or liberate bring on liberation.

Thomas Fraley
    Participant

LeoBarr,

I totally agree, could be a hindrance. But again I’m not a knife maker but as with anything having good notes is good business.

That being said the easier you make it to input data the better.

Yes I do use bento and I feel it’s a lot better because of integration with things like contacts, photos etc.. and syncing.

That being said my thinking wasn’t for the average guy dropping off 10 knifes but for the enthosuistit.
    Unlike Numbers, iWork Excel.. you can create this with drop down selection box’s and check boxes all the goodies.
    The more organized it is the less writing all you do is a check box here a drop down their and your done.

But again it’s really just for me not like it’s a commercial product or anything. I will use it when I sharpen friends/family’s knifes and keep track of them all.

Also using bento another nice think is you can move it easily to filemaker and then use it as a website if you like as well. I don’t have a need for that but it’s nice if the need arises later.

any how thats just my 2cents.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

It definitely works well as you have it set up I would need to get two versions of it I take it (one for the Mac & one for IOS) I will take a closer look at it.
    I can see that even if you do not catalogue every knife but only your friends knives the data will be most useful when you come across similar knives.

Thomas Fraley
    Participant

Ok guys,

Here is the video I promised.
    Let me know what you think

http://bit.ly/15dKdA2

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Well to me and being a novice myself? It looks like you have put everything in but the kitchen sink? 😆 Knowing my OCD I think I would end up playing for hours with it as well? :S Excuse me for my ignorance? Did I miss if this could be used on a PC? :unsure: I think your site Life w/Tech (did I get that right?) is also extremely well done!! :woohoo:

Thomas Fraley
    Participant

Thank you for the kind words,
    The blog is a personal tech blog i’ve had for a few years.

Any how the database software I was using “Bento” is Mac Only unfortunately.
    I’m un aware of any PC software that is as easy to use as bento and filemaker pro.

Thomas Fraley
    Participant

Morning guys,

Just wanted to let you know.

It seems Filemaker has announced that they are discontinuing bento come sept 30th.

If you were on the ropes before on buying it you may want to rethink it.

This kinda sucks I liked bento but I guess i’ll move the database back to filemaker pro.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.